Trying to Upgrade to WIN10 from WINXP with a purchased key

Reaction score
I've been trying to fix this issue all day and reading what I can online in order to be better educated.

Long story short, I am forced to use an old desktop with WINDOWS XP. Yesterday, I purchased WINDOWS 10 and didn't realize I needed Windows 7-8.1 in order to run Windows 10.

I have read a few articles stating I can do a clean install with Windows 10.. I have the product key I purchased online and that is it. I am scared if I do this, I will wipe out my system and have nothing if it doesn't work.

Is this even possible with this older desktop?! I am giving up hope and about to just ask for my money back. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is no direct upgrade path from Windows XP to Windows 10.
Going forward the only thing that you can do is backup all your critical data to an safe external resource.
All your programs will have to be re-installed assuming that they are compatible with Windows 10.
There are also various hardware considerations with respect to your "old desktop", as to whether or not you can even
1. Install Windows 10 on it. This is a specific concern noted here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2
2. If your existing hardware has drivers either native to Windows 10 or through the hardware vendors website that you can use to insure that all your devices will work.
3. Peripherals, some older printers and scanners that worked perfectly with Windows XP may not work at all or at best with limited functionality on Windows 10.

If you decide to proceed I would strongly recommend a disk image in advance of any further action.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
Yep what @Trouble said. You only need Windows 7 or 8.1 for the free upgrade. Since you purchased and have a key, all you need do now is install Windows 10 and activate with the key you received. That is aside from the cautions @Trouble mentioned.

Ask a Question