Laptop now very slow

Reaction score
My laptop which used to be quite fast, is now down to a crawl.
I suspect this MAY be due to an accumulation of individual Windows updates. Is it possible to remove Windows 10 and install a new, complete, version (with the same license credentials). Would this improve the speed?

Reaction score
You can, and it should, as long as it's not a hardware problem. You can right click the start button and select Settings, then click Updates and Security, then click on Recovery on the left hand side. Under Reset This PC, click Get Started. You'll get the option to keep files, or remove everything (I would still backup your most important files if you choose to keep files, just in case).

Resetting the PC is what I usually recommend, instead of spending hours or days trying to clean up old files and programs, which you can try. But if you don't mind starting over, resetting is usually the best option.

Reaction score
I suspect this MAY be due to an accumulation of individual Windows updates. Is it possible to remove Windows 10 and install a new, complete, version (with the same license credentials). Would this improve the speed?
Ii personally wouldn’t reinstall windows at this point in time. It sounds like you need to clean up your computer first to see if you can increase the speed. One of the tools I use is AVG tune-up. This will not only clean up cash files, cookies, temp files, registry items, broken shortcuts, as well as a long list of other things. It’s not a very expensive software but I have used it for years and I install it on other computers as a part of the tech-support I offer to our clients. It will help you optimize your systems, make recommendations, and allow you to properly uninstall programs that you don’t need that come installed on your computer at purchase. Windows is not broken, it just needs cleaning up, and AVG.Tune-up is the best tool I have used. I would only do a reinstall of Windows if it was, in fact, broken, or not functioning properly - not for running slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend anything that promotes fixing/cleaning registry issues. Yes, most of the time it's fine. But I've worked on quite a few PC's that have had the registry corrupted by these programs. Windows has it's own cleanup program that works fairly well. I also wouldn't recommend any AVG or Avast products. The free versions contain nagware and can be very difficult to uninstall. I would run Windows cleanup utility before doing anything.

Reaction score
I disagree. Tune-up Utilities was built in Germany and has been around for a long time. It reads the version of software, and does what is appropriate. I’ve been using it since 2006 and have installed it on hundreds of computers. I’m not a fan of AVG either, but they did buy this from the Germans. It IS NIOT evasive and does not have any nagware. I never recommend software to anyone that I have not used myself- having done technical support and software development for 14 years.

Reaction score
OK here's a simple process I use. download crystal disk info and run that. If the drive is good try the steps below
First, check and see if you have an update waiting for manual install. If the 1903 started and couldn't finish, it will show in updates.
Second, run Ccleaner and clear out old registry updates by running the registry tool a couple of times.
3rd. hit the windows key and type in &temp% and hit enter.hold CTRL and hit A key to select the entire page and hit your DELETE key.Allow if prompted and when it says some files couldn't be removed hit cancel. Those are keepers.
Empty recycle bin and check hard drive space. If it seems to be too little or you don't know run disk cleanup and click to clean system. in the systems look for old windows versions or old windows something. and check that and run clean up.
If you installed anything between the running fast and running slow, remove it and run malwarebytes.
Hopes this helps if you haven't fixed it already

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Kashegan, postagem: 100638, membro: 18820"]
Meu laptop, que costumava ser bastante rápido, agora está engatinhando.
Eu suspeito que isso pode ser devido a um acúmulo de atualizações individuais do Windows. É possível remover o Windows 10 e instalar uma nova versão completa (com as mesmas credenciais de licença). Isso melhoraria a velocidade?
[/CITAR]
Se estiver lento é uma coisa, se estiver engarfando (dá uma parada) ai é hardware, ve se a temperatura da CPU chega no máximo, e tente trocar a pasta térmica. Não uso e não aconselho nada de softwares limpadores (execute dois e veja os resultados) eles mesmos dão problemas diferentes, use os próprios limpadores do windows.

Reaction score

I stumbelled accross that a little while back I think I uninstalled a program and away she went flying again The problem is I totally forget what I did it was a software fight or somthing but now that notebook works great.

Reaction score

You must have allot of 'Windows upgrade log files' clutter and old software that is conflicting with your computer or a fault with your hardware on your system, check and/or do the following:

1. Go to - 'This PC'
2. Right click -'boot drive' e.g. (c:) then 'Properties'
3. Do a - 'Disk cleanup' and a 'Clean up system files'
4. Go to both of these - 'Files to delete' and check all the files that are taking up allot of space e.g. in 'Clean up system files' the "Windows upgrade log files" or "Downloads" take up allot of space and should be either deleted or as with 'Downloads' moved to a backup drive.
You would be amazed how much space the above takes up (which can be fixed by deleting these files) which can slow your computer down considerably.
5. Keep your software to a minimum on your boot drive, check or delete incompatible software that does nothing, don't use registry cleanup software as they are useless and damaging to your system, don't use any software that is not compatible and reputable for windows 10!
6. Check your CPU, if its not overheating or your system is not cluttered with dirt in the ventilation slots and e.g. CPU fan etc
7. Have you got an SSD drive? If not, get one, as that will speed up your system by 100%
8. Use a slave drive for all your files and folder that you don't use readily, this speeds up and minimises the boot drive so it can work faster and more efficiently!

I've got an 8year old laptop with v1903 that has made my system faster! You must have other issues like I've mentioned above for your system to 'slow it down'!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it may have been a software program I deleted to fix mine but there was somthing about i possibly running two programs that were the same single program and I think I reinstalled the program and it ran correctly then not 100% sure as it was a few months ago. It had also been like it for years. As mine was an upgrade from win7 it wouldn't run a program in the new update so I called microsoft and they reinstalled the new win 10 full install on my notebook as well.

Reaction score
I think it may have been a software program I deleted to fix mine but there was somthing about i possibly running two programs that were the same single program and I think I reinstalled the program and it ran correctly then not 100% sure as it was a few months ago. It had also been like it for years. As mine was an upgrade from win7 it wouldn't run a program in the new update so I called microsoft and they reinstalled the new win 10 full install on my notebook as well.
Yes, that is what happened to me sort of like you but, I didnt do a 'clean install' afterwards, all I did was a 'Reset this PC' , this was after I installed the free upgrade to Win-10 Pro, which was offered to me through Win 8.1 to Win-10 Pro and there were a few issues, once the upgraded of Win-10 Pro installed (of course I backed all my files up from 8.1) as the system didnt run 100% after and the system slowed down about 50%.

All I did is; go to 'Settings' > 'Update & Security' > 'Recovery' > 'Reset this PC' and the reset fixed everything to default (it sort of went to a clean install) and the system worked 100% with no issues. Btw, I also did a complete clean install just to be 100% sure and had no issues afterwards with e.g. and the usual 'windows update' or any of the BSOD screens or and especially the problematic v1809 update which contributed to all those lost files from One Drive, audio etc etc

Ask a Question