Laptop taking one minute ten seconds to open a Word document.

BML

Reaction score
My computer man loaded Windows 10, cleared some rubbish applications off and checked the registry but still my laptop which was only used when I was travelling and is about two years old is taking one minute ten seconds to open a Word document. Would anyone care to suggest what I need to do apart from buying a replacement.

Reaction score
How much RAM is installed RAM=speed and perhaps you can add more which is very easy to do.

Reaction score
Is the document stored in OneDrive? That will do it. I force my documents to be stored local even though I allow OneDrive to 'backup' the whole directory.

BML

Reaction score
How much RAM is installed RAM=speed and perhaps you can add more which is very easy to do.
upload_2016-1-10_20-37-19.png

BML

Reaction score
I think I have cracked it. Waking up at 03.30 this morning I sought the permission of my wife to go to my study to which she agreed as long as I didn't make to much keyboard noise. I checked the start time and opening up a document time again finding that opening up even a small document took two minutes and then I looked at my Emails and found that the Inbox showed a little over 1,100 messages waiting to be opened. This happened because I had not been using the Laptop as I had not been going away in our Motor Caravan. I knew that all these messages were on my desktop so I deleted the lot and now a document opens in 20 seconds. I only wish that the desktop computer that has had Windows 10 installed and which freezes up every few moments was as easy to put right.

Reaction score
I don't know what unopened e-mail has to do with docs. opening? but if you feel that fixed the prob. well time will tell. Your RAM at 3GB's is not a lot for today's PC's most laptops new are at least 4GB's or more and desktops many start at 8GB's or more, with expansion up to 16GB's. You should have a slot inside to add another RAM stick which would make the PC run nice and fast. But that is up to you it is very easy to install more RAM. I've done it a few times.

Reaction score
I don't know what unopened e-mail has to do with docs. opening? but if you feel that fixed the prob. well time will tell. Your RAM at 3GB's is not a lot for today's PC's most laptops new are at least 4GB's or more and desktops many start at 8GB's or more, with expansion up to 16GB's. You should have a slot inside to add another RAM stick which would make the PC run nice and fast. But that is up to you it is very easy to install more RAM. I've done it a few times.
My desktop PC has 2gb Ram and is lightning fast.
But then i do do a weekly clean up.;)

BML

Reaction score
Defender01 I know that I could install CrapCleaner tod o a clean up or at least I assume that it would. Could you explain what sort of a clean up you do so that I can give it a go.

Reaction score
Defender01 I know that I could install CrapCleaner tod o a clean up or at least I assume that it would. Could you explain what sort of a clean up you do so that I can give it a go.
Yes the free version of ccleaner will free up a lot of space.
I run it weekly you would be surprised temporary folders internet cache etc that starts to build up.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
I found that my anti virus & firewall were slowing things down but now i use widows Defender that also has helped.
Also i run the free version of malwarebytes
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Using malewarebytes and windows defender is enough, you can do a disk clean up and defrag right on your windows menu under all apps then windows administrative, disk clean up gets rid of junk and speeds up your PC defrag. which you can also run frees up space on your hard drive.

BML

Reaction score
Many thanks for all the advice but there is one thing that I really would like to understand which is why the removal of the 1,100 plus unopened Emails in the laptop should appear to make the change from taking two minutes to only twenty seconds to open up a document. I wish I had found a way to measure how large such a number of Emails were but regrettably I did not so all I can rely on is dear old Newton.
Newton's first law of motion - sometimes referred to as the law of inertia roughly states that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. I acted as an unbalanced force and a change occurred unless that is someone can come up with a better idea.

Reaction score

That's not alot of ram especially since you OS is 64 bit. Usually if the OEM had 64 Windows on the machine they have at least 4 gb in the machine. Machines that come with less usually had a 32 bit OS installed.

BML

Reaction score
Exposing my lack of computer knowledge yet again I have to say that I found in the past that if my desktop was slowing down and I then operated CrapCleaner to clear all the tmp files it speeded up. I wonder if one could take that logically and perhaps dumping all those unopened Emails might have had the same effect. The problem is that I do not know how to quantify 1,100 unopened Emails.

Ask a Question