SOLVED Laptop turns off for no reason

Reaction score
I've got an Acer Aspire 5750 laptop, had the computer on and all of a sudden the power button was flashing and the system turned off. I diagnosed that the charger/power supply burnt out, I reverted to using the battery power but that didnt work so I removed the battery and I used the Acer Aspire One Happy-2 charger/power supply only, with no battery, which workrd but, the same thing happend, the system rebooted and it went through the boot sequences and logged into windows 10 pro (that I have) I got to the desktop but, when I try to use a program or do anything, the system turns off for no reason. Any ideas of what this problem could be?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suspect that whatever is responsible for having damaged the power circuitry may extend to other components and is causing the issue.
Personally, just to confirm that the problem is in fact hardware rather than software / OS....
I'd grab a Linux Live CD and attempt to run the system for a while using only that and see what happens.
IF it behaves the same then I think you would have your answer.

Reaction score
I suspect that whatever is responsible for having damaged the power circuitry may extend to other components and is causing the issue.
Personally, just to confirm that the problem is in fact hardware rather than software / OS....
I'd grab a Linux Live CD and attempt to run the system for a while using only that and see what happens.
Im certain that its a hardware problem and I will purchase a new power/charger and maybe even a new battery (btw, the power/charger and battery are all 9 month old but not OEM) and reboot the system without the battery and see how it goes. I also noticed that in taking the keyboard off and being able to observe the CPU fan, it intermittently stops and starts, hence, this could be a CPU fan problem also with an overheat problem of the CPU. I will run the Linux Live CD after replacing the CPU fan and power/charger supply and see if that fixes the problem.

Btw, I did restore the system with my Macrium backup and that process completed without any problems and/or the laptop turning off which was a 40 min process which makes this even more strange, as when I booted into Win-10 (after the restore) it turned off the same as Ive described above. Thanks for your help and if anybody has had this problem then I would be interested in any suggestions.

Reaction score
Install the free version of speccy https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy , and see your cpu and other temps are ok. My old hp laptop would shutoff for no reason, it was the power setting to save battery power the fan wouldn't come on, a software glitch with a previous OS, so overheated.

Reaction score
My experience was because the fan inside was dead, causing overheat and my laptop shut off on its own.

Reaction score
My experience was because the fan inside was dead, causing overheat and my laptop shut off on its own.

Yes its most definitely a hardware problem (as I suspected) not an OP problem but. I just wanted to know if this could have related in anyway to a software problem so that I can eliminate, software issues, that is why I posted this post.

I think (and I'm investigating this) that my house must have had a 'Brown Out' through the power supply and power plug but, the most likely cause was, that my laptops power supply/charger shorted and blew the charger/PS and battery, because, my battery and power supply are not working and are completely d_e_a_d! I will replace the CPU fan, Battery and charger/PS (as they were very old like 10 years) and see how the systems works after that? As I think those were the issues and it will fix everything. Thank you all for your help and assistance, cheers!

Reaction score
Thanks for that, I appreciate your input and help. I have done that and its hardware as it does the same, cheers

Ask a Question