SOLVED Latest update trashed computer and left Explorer problem

Reaction score
The latest feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2 KB4023057, installed on ‎25/07/2022 and took five and a half hours, has messed up my computer in many ways so I reverted to the pre latest feature update (under Settings/Recovery). This feature update is poised to install once more, and presumably cause chaos again; I have paused updates for the maximum 35 days but there seems no way to prevent the update eventually happening. My desktop machine is eleven years old, albeit now with an SSD, extra RAM and faster processor - perhaps its age is why the update corrupts; is there a way to prevent this update re-installing – and is there a way to prevent any future updates installing.

An additional problem is that entries in Windows Explorer are now in reverse alphabetical order and I cannot find a way to correct that – again, how do I do it.

Reaction score
You can use this MS tool to show & hide problematic drivers or updates:
You can also try the windows update minitool to block the update permanently:

If you right click on a file does it offer the option to sort a ending or descending?

Reaction score
Thank you, your reply has been very helpful, I have downloaded the Major Geeks tool, the MS tool showed the faulty update as being successfully installed so I could not block it. I can now get Explorer correctly displayed but displaying the documents/documents folder is a problem; prior to the problem update I had that folder pinned to the taskbar but now I have to access it by right clicking the Start button, selecting File Explorer and then navigating to documents/documents and then change to ascending - very tedious - is there an easy way.

Reaction score
You can try uninstalling the update or rolling back via system restore then quickly using the tool to block the update. You can use the tool to uninstall updates as well.
Do you have a Documents folder on the desktop?

Reaction score
I did uninstall the update successfully and set it to delay all updates by 35 days, but the bad update will re-install at the expiry of that time, the display states that the update was successfully installed, which it apparently was after a fashion. I have set the tool to only notify updates, so presumably when the problem update comes up again I can decline to re-install. I now have Explorer pinned to the taskbar - a left click brings up quick access but if I right-click and select Doccuments [not a mis-spelling] the documents/documents folder comes up, correctly orientated as a bonus. I think this is probably the best I can do.

Reaction score
If you uninstall the update then use the Minitool to block it then it’ll not reinstall at all. The tool. Hides the update from Windows update.

Reaction score
I have already uninstalled the feature update to get the desktop back to near normal, I have delayed re-installation for the maximum of 35 days, but after that time it will re-install automatically. The mini tool reports that the original installation of the feature update was successful. I have set the tool under automatic updates to download only, but this would presumably apply to all updates, not just the one I want to permanently block. I have attached a screenshot of the mini tool as it stands now.

Attachments

• Mini tool screenshot.JPG
    Mini tool screenshot.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Once uninstalled & you have restarted the PC then you need to open the tool & rescan for updates, then it will show. If not then I’m out of options.
Yes pausing updates will block all updates.

Reaction score
Thank you, you have been very patient. I will leave it to block all updates, if necessary I will re-install windows, keeping programs and files, and hope that works

Reaction score
You’re welcome. Keep the forum updated on your progress with the in-place repair.

Ask a Question