Problems after latest update(KB4512941) 1/9/2019

Reaction score
Windows10 Home 64
after the last (unasked) update I had several issues :
- the search (magnifying glass on the left of the taskbar) did not work anymore. It was only a black rectangle window and typing something in it
did not do anything.
- my laptop came to a turtle speed

examining everything possible I found out that the SearchUI.exe was eating between 65 and 75% of my CPU.
I tried to remove/delete it but it was not possible. Tried to change .exe to .txt but this was also refused.

I ended up removing this update (settings/update/remove update) and my laptop is fast as ligthning again.
I think this is only a solution for the time being and that Microsoft will push the next time this update again through my throat.

Is there any solution to this intrusive policy and can we stop mr B.Gates impose this on us ?

thanks and any advise/help/comments will be highly appreciated

Reaction score
It didn't happen to me, but, maybe for some reason the indexing is checking right through the computer again.

personally, i have limited it to nothing. (Settings - Search) in there I have put everything under "excluded folder". I have replaced it with a third party, and extremely fast and thorough program, called everything:

Give it a whirl, I am certain you will be impressed.

Reaction score
thank you davehc for the link and I'm sure impressed
unfortunately this does not solve my issue which I believe affects many other users of Windows10
So any further help/advise would oblige
Thanks

Reaction score
That update was described as an optional update. You would have needed to click on the button to download. Of course things don't always go as designed but it should not have installed on its own.

Removing it should not be a problem unless something in it was specifically for a situation on your system.

SearchUI.exe is part of Windows and does, I believe, do the indexing on your system. You should be able to see what it is doing if you use the Resource Monitor to filter for its activities. I cannot remember if there are settings related to what gets indexed on your system. But it does appear there are indexing options in the Control panel.

Reaction score
That update was described as an optional update. You would have needed to click on the button to download. Of course things don't always go as designed but it should not have installed on its own.

Removing it should not be a problem unless something in it was specifically for a situation on your system.

SearchUI.exe is part of Windows and does, I believe, do the indexing on your system. You should be able to see what it is doing if you use the Resource Monitor to filter for its activities. I cannot remember if there are settings related to what gets indexed on your system. But it does appear there are indexing options in the Control panel.
Thanks Saltgrass but just putting some things straight
this update was without my consent downloaded to my laptop and I only became aware of it when I would shut down my
computer where I was forced to instal the update before shutting down.

Reaction score
As Saltgrass says, "glitches occur" . For me, an optional update has never been downloaded automatically, unless I press the message.

Reaction score
As Saltgrass says, "glitches occur" . For me, an optional update has never been downloaded automatically, unless I press the message.
Hi Dave

is Saltgrass maybe the oracle of Delphi ?
I can tell you that this update (KB4512941) has again been pushed to my laptop this night en sits there to be installed.
I did not in any way requested this update neither klicked on a button whatsoever.
My laptop will be automatically restared outside normal operating hours, or I can klick restart now.

When I klick on the start button the on/of symbol has a orange dot in it which means when I would klick on it the imple-
mentation of the update and restart will be executed if I want it or not.

Will see if this time I have the same problems as explained before and if so the only solution will be to again remove this
update and then the carousel can start again.

Ask a Question