SOLVED After latest Windows update, LibreOffice no longer works. jscript.dll is implicated on all crashes

Reaction score
After latest Windows update, LibreOffice no longer works. jscript.dll is implicated on all crashes.
1569951571916.png

Regedit32

Reaction score
The most common cause for LibreOffice crashes is a bugged User profile.

There is a Wiki page that explains how to backup and reset the User profile, which would be worth trying as it may resolve your issue.

Just note the first section is pertinent for LibreOffice builds 5.3 and newer, so if you are using an older version, scroll down the article for the correct instructions.

The latest version of LibreOffice is 6.3.2 and if you are not on that build yet, then it might be a good idea to update it.

Microsoft offer a tool that you may need should you run into any issues installing a newer edition of LibreOffice.

Given you have already installed it in the past, its unlikely you'll need the above tool, but just in case I thought I'd throw it into the mix.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks, Reg. Unfortunately when I copied and deleted my original LibreOffice folder from AppData, I had the same results: LO crashed. (LO DID note that I was running 6.3.2 for the first time). From the LO forums, this seems to be happening to a lot of LO users after the Windows upgrade...

Reaction score
I just updated LO to version 6.3.2.2 on one Notebook, haven't seen any problems yet. Their site did suggest 6.2.7 as the most stable.

Reaction score
I just updated LO to version 6.3.2.2 on one Notebook, haven't seen any problems yet. Their site did suggest 6.2.7 as the most stable.

LO 6.3.2.2 was working well for me too, until I installed the latest Windows updates. Apparently though, there may be some other things in my environment which are interacting here too.

Reaction score
I should have mentioned I have the latest Build on this computer and have been running it a few days before doing the LO update.

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem on 1903 Pro. I tried various versions of Libreoffice, from 6.2 to the latest 6.3.2 (doing a complete uninstall before installing another version). All did the same. I cleared the user profile (more than once). Nothing worked.

This only happened after the installation of KB4517211 and 4522738 on 27/9/19. WIndows would not let me uninstall these.

I tried a Windows Reset. No better.

Eventually I had to give up, do a full recovery disk reset, restoring all my files and so on. I used gpedit.msc to disable "configure automatic updates". When I was full ready I asked for updates and using the windows update hide tool was able to hide KB4522738 before it was installed. KB4517211 is optional, so I didn't install it.

It now works again, but I will not allow any more Windows updates until I understand what happened and can prevent it.

jscript.dll was updated as part of the windows update, and was quoted in the Libreoffice crash report.

Reaction score

My Libre Office updated to V 6.3.1 although the Website currently shows V 6.3.2 as the most recent (available for download). I had V 6.2.7 on it before. I am also running OS build 17134.1039.

Reaction score
The page kinda does indicate 6.3.2.2 isn't fully released yet.
This problem is definitely not related to a specific version of Libreoffice. I've tried 6.2.7, 6.3.1 and 6.3.2, all doing the same thing.

It is my strong impression that the problem relates to an OS update during the week of 26 Sept that updated jscript.dll. In my case that was KB4517211.

Reaction score
Just Updated LO 6.3.2.2 on my VM with the latest Win10 and everything is working fine.
I have 3 Windows 10 systems, and only one of them has this problem. They all have the latest updates. I currently have no idea why only one of them is affected in this way, but it is the newest computer (by far).

Reaction score
I am having multiple application crashes on this system after the windows update on 9/26 which installed KB4515842 and KB4516045. Printing a simple .txt from Notepad causes Notepad to crash, and WordPad appears to open files (window with file contents appears) and then the window goes poof. LibreOffice (multiple versions) crashes when you do almost anything. PDF-XChange Editor (Tracker Software) goes poof if I try to print a file.

Reaction score
Reaction score
according to the HP website the software / driver version is 40.12

Thanks. That's what I have had installed for quite a while (the actual driver element of this is 20.79.1.6692 according to Windows). Which makes me think I may have a different problem from 'dumbscreenname'.

Reaction score
I finally did last week's WIndows updates and all seems stable now - I hope. All rather strange. I didn't change printer drivers or anything else.

Ask a Question