SOLVED After latest W10 update, Windows Media Player gone! I want it back!

Reaction score
I was using my laptop to learn another language with Pimsleur language audio CD's. I was using Windows Media Player. Then I had to install the latest Windows 10 update (whatever version was put out there for us in late July 2019). So after the update, I go to continue my language lesson, and when I click on the track that I want to play, instead of Windows Media Player, something called VLC player has been substituted. What's up with that? I could not get it to play my audio CD. I could not find Windows Media Player on the list of apps. Therefore, at this time I am unable to play an audio CD on my laptop. I would be happy to either have Windows Media Player back or learn how to play my audio CD's on VLC. I need to continue my language lessons.

Reaction score
VLC Would only be available if you had installed it Windows media player can be accessed in the start menu
Windows media Player is in the start menu, under Windows accessories. If you cannot see it, open programs and features in the control panel, click. upper left,"turn Windows features on or off" and, in the list, ensure you have the media player ticked.
Right click the music you wish to hear and select "open with", Select the Media player, if that is your wish, and make it the default
For what it's worth, vlc is superior, but I have no idea if it can play windows media player files
Just did a little googling. vlc can convert the files ok.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I found Windows Media Player under Windows accessories, as you said & got it to play my CD. Thanks v/much. It's a great comfort to have a place to go with Windows issues. In all likelihood, you will be seeing more of me as time goes on.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, Ric. Could you be kind and mark the thread as solved (at the top)

Ask a Question