Lest we forget....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think I may have came a little later to the dance. I believe mine was Amber or actually Orange on Black and C:\Win (I believe) produced something called "Program Manager"
Sort of the Windows 3 equivalent of the Windows 8 Start Screen (not start menu).

Regedit32

Reaction score
Fairly sure my original start menu was a wall socket. Actually two wall sockets.

One for the oversized and rapidly overheating transformer.

The other for the solder iron so I could melt the transformers casing and insert an 8 cent fuse.

Reaction score
Trouble has it. Windows 95 was the first to have what could be called a start menu. Before there wasn't one. We used the program manager. Anyone remember this. It came out before MS windows, working in DOS. At the time I loved it -- today?? load of rubbish.

Untitled.png

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yep...since windows 8/8.1 and now 10....I've been using Start8 and Start10 from Stardock and sometimes Classic Shell. It's just plain easier.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Anyone remember this
I certainly remember program manager, although I don't recognize that particular one.
Dang..... I thought, I was old.
Hat's off to even my elders.....
Respect!!!!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Anyone remember this. It came out before MS windows, working in DOS. At the time I loved it -- today?? load of rubbish.

Wow that is a memory lane moment. GEOS was in its day somewhat revolutionary for the Commodore 64 users.

diskTurbo *yee haa* (similar to placing carrot in front of donkey)

I wonder if Microsoft borrowed GEOS software protection. Do you recall if you copied a Disk using GEOS security, then tried to use the disk, you couldn't because GEOS knew if you were a pirate :eek:

Nothing really to do with Start Menu, but I can distinctly recall modifying my MS-DOS.sys file when Windows 95 came out. It was perhaps my first rebellion against the Microsoft Developers.
  1. I did not want to see their logo as my machine booted
  2. I did not want to boot directly to Windows 95, but rather have the option to select a partition and so forth
Code:
[Options]

BootGui=0

Network=1

BootMulti=1

Logo=0

Bootdelay=0

I vaguely recall having to modify the CONFIG,sys too but off hand my memory is not that good LoL

Reaction score
"Hat's off to even my elders.....
Respect!!!!"

It is an old adage now, but I have to repeat_

I also use to respect my elders, but they are all dead now-

Ask a Question