SOLVED unforget manage known networks

Reaction score
Pressed the forget button while in manage wifi settings and now the only way to get online is to plug in Ethernet cable. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Annette and welcome to the forum.
So.... when using WiFi only... you are not seeing any available networks?
Can you have a look in device manager and see if there are any problems indicated anywhere, but more specifically your wireless adapter?
It could be a driver issue.

Reaction score
I agree with Annette that there are some occasional problems around Wifi and the several ways of getting it set up.
Your advice for Dev manager is a good starting point and may solve the problem in an instant. Going to change adapter settings from Network and Sharing and disabling/re-enabling the adapter might do it.
I have had the same problems and after I plugged in an e'net cable I could then get the wifi to work again. If I had to guess it would be that MS have had some people working on 'Settings' who were not network people and some W8/8.1 people in there as well but staring from a w7 codebase somehow....it will get fixed soon I'm sure.

I have been through all this stuff in the Insider program with 3 different wifi adapters and Ethernet on a laptop and a desktop.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding, my wireless id is not showing up in the available networks. Checked drivers-all okay. Checked event viewer and found UserPnp 20001 (7005) but have not the skill or knowhow to use this info.

In Network Connections : Broadband-disconnected WAN Miniport (PPPOE) Local Area Connection-Shaw
Wireless Network-Not connected

Have tried disabling/enabling, nothing.

What exactly does the "forget" button do? Can I back track from there?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
my wireless id is not showing up in the available networks
Can we assume that there are no other wireless SSIDs showing up as well?
We'll need some additional information.
What is the manufacturer name, model name, model number (all the numbers) of you computer?
Open device manager, expand network adapters right click the problem wireless adapter and choose properties.
Go to the details tab, change the drop down to hardware ids
right click the top line of the value box and choose copy.
Paste it here in your next post.

Reaction score
Nope, can't assume that. All the other wireless ssids from my apt are showing, mine was the only one missing. However.....

I created a new connection, shut down laptop, unplugged router, plugged router back in and started laptop. Voila, I now have wireless!!!!!!!!!!

I am hoping this is a forever fix however if not I will be back.

Thank you Trouble for your interest and help. Noob Whisperer is a good title for those like me ;-)

Reaction score
All the other SSIDs showing in pane. Just mine missing. However....
Created a new connection, shut down laptop, unplugged and plugged in router, restarted laptop and Shazam, I have wireless again!!!!!
Thank you Trouble for your interest and help, very much appreciated.
If this doesn't turn out to be a forever fix, I will be back.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Voila, I now have wireless!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent.... great to hear that you managed to resolve your own issue.
Thanks so much for posting back and updating your thread with your solution.

Ask a Question