SOLVED Linux over Win 10

Reaction score
Well that's good news..so what size usb stick do I need and would putting linux on it actually wipe windows off?.

Reaction score
Well that's good news..so what size usb stick do I need and would putting linux on it actually wipe windows off?.
I put mine on an 8GB but probably would use a 16GB or 32GB next time just for added storage space. Linux reformats as it needs so anything on it will be lost. The default format for installed Linux on an HDD/SSD is ext4 but the USB drive shows ISO9660 when looking at it in GPARTED. Windows can't read it, wants to format it.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Well you've opened my eyes on the subject guys..the reason I ask is..my Lenovo idea pad 330 laptop is so slow with windows 10, but may be it would slow on Linux too..I know I ask a lot of questions on here and I have been computing for years..but windows 10 seems so cumbersome and slower than 7 which I thought was an excellent product.
My favorite lite distro is Zorin Lite

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in the incorporated Windows 10 Linux, after a lot of work getting it installed, this is all you get from the Windows menu:

1603422657456.png

Reaction score
That does appear to be the Terminal window of Linux. It's much the same as the Command Prompt or PowerShell window.

Reaction score
A nice long list of various Linux versions at the link below. For older hardware I recommend the following.

Lubuntu.
Ubuntu Mate.
Ubuntu Budgie.

All are pretty light!. They all have LTS (Long Term Support) versions which gives you at least 3 years of support before you need to upgrade!. :)

Reaction score
A nice long list of various Linux versions at the link below. For older hardware I recommend the following.

Lubuntu.
Ubuntu Mate.
Ubuntu Budgie.

All are pretty light!. They all have LTS (Long Term Support) versions which gives you at least 3 years of support before you need to upgrade!. :)

When you say Light, do mean on a boot up that Linux would over ride Windows boot up ?

Reaction score
On an older computer, it is about the same!. It is the system resource requirements that are less demanding, that said, the Linux devs are/have dropping/dropped 32 Bit versions so eventually there will only be 64 Bit versions available!. :)

If you use FireFox in Linux, that can be tough if you don't have a lot of RAM and/or a fast CPU!. :eek:

Reaction score
well it depends on your use of opertaing system, linux is an open based OS and youre administrator of everything and people mostly use it for coding or creating websties testing and stuff, you still can have both of by dual booting

T_J

Reaction score
I've had Windows desktops since 2000. If my current Dell W10 1909 with Conexant audio drivers does not upgrade to 2004 or 2009 with 'windows update', before May 11 2021 end of support'; I may switch it to Ubuntu. I had a Linux box for 6-years once.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
When you say Light, do mean on a boot up that Linux would over ride Windows boot up ?
Lite means, it's not resource heavy on ones hardware.

No.....it doesn't override windows bootup. Using a live DVD or USB is just that, you boot from the media storage and by pass windows all together. It's a great way to test Linux OS's.

Reaction score
To Linux versus Windows.
Have installed Linux Mint as a necessity for my business.
I found Microsoft Windows unreliable. It is unfortunate and necessary evil that some software only insist on running on Windows, like
StudioTax. Ever since Windows 3.1 it was crashing. I mean Crashing with capital C. BSD, not booting, loosing all icons, destroying motherboards by upgrades. quitting at 98%. Just look at stupid design of leaving the OS vulnerable.
All in takes is to rename all program files to non executable ones.
Example was renaming all EXE files to INI files. All of a sudden without reason, virus or malware detected, all Desktop Icons tuned white paper.There was no defense against it. Having no OS installation disks provided by the PC vendors, well, you PC is rendered scrap.
Not ever Windows Backup by any software worked. There was no drivers to run your Backup USB boot disks, DVDs or anything.
You have no access to Internet, to Google, to Disk drive (CD or DVD), to Windows Forum.
All you have is a box full of useless hardware, with all your files but no way of getting to them.
You see - you do have to have EXE file to use any of that, .ini or any other extension just will not do.
Comparison is when some expert tells you to phone for help after your phone line is cut.
Linux - never has such problem. OS is completely separate from any programs - so if any crash, no problem.
No Registry to master - there is no need for that. Of course there are always free OS on DVD or USB available for only a shipping cost.
So if you had a dual OS and you can not access your HDD - you are done.
There is a dangerous trend now.
Microsoft want you to have only dumb terminal from which you will be able to access only what they control. Rent is the buzz word. Money. It is all about money. Remember Terminator - Skynet.
If you do have some manor crash in which the MS Windows will not boot:
and the Restore can actually be started, it will restore the whole OS and files from the Cloud.
However this must be by design - it will not fix the simple boot file. so you are exactly where you started hours ago. No boot.

I am just saying - have both OS, on separate drives or even on your older PC, keep them updated.
I do have 2 HDD for Linux, 2 HDD for Windows 10 Pro - keep those 2 cloned, and updated regularly.
It is the only guarantee in case of MS crash.
Pay for Paragon, the rest all failed in the big crunch.

Reaction score
This post was in Oct 2010, could be things have changed since then. As for my needs, I have Linux on a Desktop and 2 Notebooks, one with a 32GB drive that didn't have room for the few Versions of Win10.

Reaction score
Ask Google. That will give you references to a zillion articles/websites/fora with instructions for each and every Linux distro and Windows for W7 to W11 on how to do it and get it right first time.

Ask a Question