List specific shared folder in Network, not root folder

Reaction score
I share files on my home network between my desktop PC and my laptop. I often move files between the two computers by placing folders on the desktops and then working with them or moving them to specific folders. The network for my laptop lists its desktop folder, but for the desktop PC, the topline \Users root folder is listed, not the desktop. Network and sharing work just fine. But how do I list the shared PC desktop folder so that I don’t have to drill down through the \Users file structure to reach the desktop folder?
Laptop shared folders.PNG
Desktop shared folders.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically, if you want to share a specific folder you would use File Explorer to browse to the location of that folder
C:\Users\YourUserName\Desktop
Then right click it and choose properties.
Then use the "sharing tab" combined with the "security tab" to share it and grant permissions to whomever you wished to have access to that folder.

Reaction score
Typically, if you want to share a specific folder you would use File Explorer to browse to the location of that folder
C:\Users\YourUserName\Desktop
Then right click it and choose properties.
Then use the "sharing tab" combined with the "security tab" to share it and grant permissions to whomever you wished to have access to that folder.
Hello, Trouble. Yes, thanks, that's what I did. But the Networks window lists it as \Users..., not the individual file. I don't understand why it's not listed as my laptop desktop is listed (above)--the individual file. Did I miss a setting for this? How do I correct this?

Reaction score
Just tried it again and now it's working correctly. Hmmmm. I suppose stranger things have happened... :rolleyes:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It may have something to do with "HomeGroups" which I never use personally.
Where you can randomly pick items you wish to share when you configure or join it.
I always use a WorkGroup type setup and use Advanced Sharing to configure my network shares.

Ask a Question