Local disk Z

Reaction score
It is a little frustrating when no drive Z is shown. If you have another, external drive you might try reconnecting it, but you need to find out what is showing any signs of a drive Z..

The UEFI partition is one place it shows up because during a update which needs a restart, the boot files are altered and the drive letter is placed to facilitate that process. If it is now gone, maybe it has been repaired. If you can find it, we can use Diskpart to correct the situation.

Reaction score
It is a little frustrating when no drive Z is shown. If you have another, external drive you might try reconnecting it, but you need to find out what is showing any signs of a drive Z..

The UEFI partition is one place it shows up because during a update which needs a restart, the boot files are altered and the drive letter is placed to facilitate that process. If it is now gone, maybe it has been repaired. If you can find it, we can use Diskpart to correct the situation.
I can find it in file explorer though, so how do I do it?
Yolo 2.png

Reaction score
Ok, because of the size, it probably is the UEFI partition. Since it has a drive letter, you can probably see what is in the partition to confirm.

Using Diskpart, open an Administrative command prompt and type Diskpart.

After Diskpart is open, use the command list volume which will list all the drive letters. If Z shows then type sel vol Z to have access to that partition. Diskpart only requires the first three letters of a command so sel is select.

Once that volume is selected you can remove the letter using the command remove letter=Z

then close the command prompt. The drive letter should be gone. I don't know why this happens so It may be a random occurrence or related to the way the partition was set up.

To confirm commands...

diskpart
lis vol
sel vol z
remove letter=z

close command prompt window and you are done.

If you have any problems. post back...

Reaction score
Ok, because of the size, it probably is the UEFI partition. Since it has a drive letter, you can probably see what is in the partition to confirm.

Using Diskpart, open an Administrative command prompt and type Diskpart.

After Diskpart is open, use the command list volume which will list all the drive letters. If Z shows then type sel vol Z to have access to that partition. Diskpart only requires the first three letters of a command so sel is select.

Once that volume is selected you can remove the letter using the command remove letter=Z

then close the command prompt. The drive letter should be gone. I don't know why this happens so It may be a random occurrence or related to the way the partition was set up.

To confirm commands...

diskpart
lis vol
sel vol z
remove letter=z

close command prompt window and you are done.

If you have any problems. post back...
It worked! Thanks a lot man!
Yolo 3.png

Reaction score
it worked but after computer restart it reappears like nothing was ever done with it (no letter Z remove)

Reaction score
Are you having the same problem as the op?
Can you provide a screenshot of disk management?
Have you used any software to change the partitions - say to shrink or extend a partition?
I’ve seen this with EaseUS partition manager when extending the recovery partition, one of the system partitions ends up with the drive letter Z.
I have to do this:
Remove drive letter:
Open powershell with admin/terminal with admin & enter:
Diskpart
List Volume
select volume NUMBER where number is the No of the letter you wish to delete
remove letter=X where X is the drive letter you wish to delete - in this case Z
Then go to Regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices find the drive letter & choose delete.

Reaction score
thx @Bastet it did the job for me.
I think the trick was this regedit thing cuz I tried back then to remove letter and it only worked till the PC restart.

btw. Actually the issue happened after I split my standard C partition (using EaseUS Partition Master) so I have C & D. And that's the only thing I did but suddently this Z appeared, but I didnt touch any hidden or leterless partition. I did only split C volume

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I found I had to do both diskpart then go into the registry to remove the drive letter.
Neither did I. EaseUS extended the partition automatically. I’m disappointed in EaseUS partition manager due to this.
I reported it to them & they seemed disinterested even though I purchased the software. Minitool partition manager worked perfectly when I tried the same procedure.

Ask a Question