Local disk Z

Reaction score
A local disk Z has shown up on my computer. I do not know where it came from and i can not access it. Any one else seen anything like this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you could use the Snipping Tool to take an image of your disk management console, perhaps someone might have an idea or two about what might be going on.
Should look something like this.....

Capture.PNG

Using your mouse to expand the columns in the upper section of the Window as displayed might help further.

Reaction score
local disk z.PNG
local disk z.PNG local disk z.PNG
IF you could use the Snipping Tool to take an image of your disk management console, perhaps someone might have an idea or two about what might be going on.
Should look something like this.....

View attachment 4536

Using your mouse to expand the columns in the upper section of the Window as displayed might help further.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's a nice picture of File Explorer. Now.....
IF you would.... right click the Start Button and choose Disk Management from the context menu.

Reaction score
It seems to be like pulling teeth to get a poster to check their partition information but I did get on person to do that. Everything in the partition details came back normal except the Attrib: listing.

Instead of showing 0x8000000000000000 it came back with a 0000000000000000000. I do not now why or how a GPT drive was given such an attribute. It was an HP computer so it may be related to something they are doing.

This is the way it should look:

DISKPART> det par

Partition 1
Type : c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b
Hidden : Yes
Required: No
Attrib : 0X8000000000000000
Offset in Bytes: 1048576

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
* Volume 2 ESP FAT32 Partition 200 MB Healthy System

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just a quick question since the Z drive is not currently showing up, have you ever run EaseUS partition management software on this system?

The reason I ask is because of the Recovery partition D shown as OEM...

The Z drive situation has had quite a bit of discussion but no one and found a reason for it happening. The Attributes I mention above directly effect whether a partition will be given a drive letter or not.

Reaction score
It is a partition management software, but if you haven't used it then not important.

I assume the Z letter is going on the EFI System partition since that is where the others have gone. So far no one knows why it is happening or exactly what needs to be done to stop it.

If you would be willing, I will ask you to get the details of that partition to see what it shows. In order to do that you have to open an Administrative Command prompt and start Diskpart. After that you would select a drive and then select and partition and detail that partition. Using the info in your attachment the commands would go like this. You can copy and paste the results.

My EFI partition is partition 1, so make sure you use partition 2 as given.

Diskpart
sel dis 0
sel par 2
det par

The commands for Diskpart can use the first three letters of a word so sel means select, dis means disk and so forth.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: DELL-AIO

DISKPART> sel dis 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> sel par 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> det par

Partition 1
Type : c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b
Hidden : Yes
Required: No
Attrib : 0X8000000000000000
Offset in Bytes: 1048576

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
* Volume 2 ESP FAT32 Partition 500 MB Healthy System

Reaction score
Disk Management and Explorer show two different results I'm curios, what does device manager show?

Reaction score
It is a partition management software, but if you haven't used it then not important.

I assume the Z letter is going on the EFI System partition since that is where the others have gone. So far no one knows why it is happening or exactly what needs to be done to stop it.

If you would be willing, I will ask you to get the details of that partition to see what it shows. In order to do that you have to open an Administrative Command prompt and start Diskpart. After that you would select a drive and then select and partition and detail that partition. Using the info in your attachment the commands would go like this. You can copy and paste the results.

My EFI partition is partition 1, so make sure you use partition 2 as given.

Diskpart
sel dis 0
sel par 2
det par

The commands for Diskpart can use the first three letters of a word so sel means select, dis means disk and so forth.
When I used diskpart it said disk Z did not exist. there is something on the disk as i can run a scan and it goes through some files but it is to fast to read.

Reaction score
The drive letter seems to come and go. It probably doesn't hurt anything. The possibility something may be written to the partition which should not be and anyone using another device with a Z letter would be affected.

Reaction score
Did you by chance replace an older HD drive with the Toshiba "F" drive.

Reaction score
Did you by chance replace an older HD drive with the Toshiba "F" drive.
No. It does not seem to be hurting anything so I think I will just leave it alone . Thanks to all for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Just a quick question since the Z drive is not currently showing up, have you ever run EaseUS partition management software on this system?

The reason I ask is because of the Recovery partition D shown as OEM...

The Z drive situation has had quite a bit of discussion but no one and found a reason for it happening. The Attributes I mention above directly effect whether a partition will be given a drive letter or not.

This might kinda be late but what if I used EaseUs partition management software and after using it local disk Z showed up. Is that a bad thing or?

Reaction score
Just a note, some time back, can't recall which version of Windows maybe 7, Networked drives started being lettered at Z: and worked back up the alphabet, my NAS drives are Z: and Y:. It could be drives on other computers or drives attached to the Network, that are the issue, if one has them.

Reaction score
This might kinda be late but what if I used EaseUs partition management software and after using it local disk Z showed up. Is that a bad thing or?
EaseUS was doing some strange things with UEFI Recovery partitions. But the thread mostly dealt with a situation where, for some reason, the UEFI partition was given a drive letter. Probably because of Windows Updates.

Reaction score
EaseUS was doing some strange things with UEFI Recovery partitions. But the thread mostly dealt with a situation where, for some reason, the UEFI partition was given a drive letter. Probably because of Windows Updates.
So in a nutshell, its okay?

Reaction score
No, it is no OK because other entities will write to the partition. You need to remove the drive letter and I think that was covered in the thread.

If Bighorn thinks it might be something other than an errant drive letter, you need to check for yourself and see which partition it is, which is also shown in the thread.

Reaction score
No, it is no OK because other entities will write to the partition. You need to remove the drive letter and I think that was covered in the thread.

If Bighorn thinks it might be something other than an errant drive letter, you need to check for yourself and see which partition it is, which is also shown in the thread.
I believe Z is the one on the middle. What do I do now, should I do diskpart?
Yolo.png

Ask a Question