Loss of "create a copy" when using File Explorer

Reaction score
I am new to Windows 10 (recently switched from Windows 7 Professional SP3). I see what I would term "loss of functionality" when using the new File Explorer.

I can no long create a "file copy" when saving to a folder with the same named file.

The system for "Quick Access" does not have the ability to create a "short cut" where it can then be renamed for ease of access. This feature came in handy when searching for folders on different networked servers. I also could identify each server by their office location. I would have named shortcuts to specific project folders, by name, on various servers where file are named by a numbers only.

What is Microsoft replacement for this loss of functionality?

Reaction score
Quick Access and Libraries are usually only shortcuts to the actual files in C:\Users\USERNAME. The choice on the file copying is to prevent users from their own foibles, keeps them from accidentally losing data. Going way back into days of DOS it has always been a thing that no Folder can hold 2 or more files of exactly the same name for the same reason. If creating the files there may be a choice on File about Save as or one can right-click-drag an existing file away from the list and choose Copy here to get the same name but with a few added characters to distinguish the different files. Quick Access shows the last files used but may be on different drives, have to watch for the drive letter to ascertain that. Haven't had a need to look for the naming of duplicates but is are a number of alternate/third-party file managers that do things differently, might check some of the offerings on www.majorgeeks.com

Reaction score
Quick Access and Libraries are usually only shortcuts to the actual files in C:\Users\USERNAME. The choice on the file copying is to prevent users from their own foibles, keeps them from accidentally losing data. Going way back into days of DOS it has always been a thing that no Folder can hold 2 or more files of exactly the same name for the same reason. If creating the files there may be a choice on File about Save as or one can right-click-drag an existing file away from the list and choose Copy here to get the same name but with a few added characters to distinguish the different files. Quick Access shows the last files used but may be on different drives, have to watch for the drive letter to ascertain that. Haven't had a need to look for the naming of duplicates but is are a number of alternate/third-party file managers that do things differently, might check some of the offerings on www.majorgeeks.com

You may have misunderstood , in the previous versions it would append the word "copy" allowing the user to send out to others so they understand this is a copy of the original. Saving a step.

Also in the past the shortcut pointed to the address allowing for the adding of a name not associated with the address but still linked. This is no longer possible. I am part of a network, not an individual user so it is again mores steps to have to look at addresses to figure where Quick Access is linked. When you are constantly switching back and forth between project files it can get confusing. Again more steps.

If there is no answer for these issues I understand.

Ask a Question