SOLVED Lost history in "Run" after the 1709 update

Reaction score
As the title says.

I click on Start->Run and I get an empty box to type in. I used to have all the history with the last command in there. I've put in a few commands and nothing is in the history.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Alan

Reaction score
I've seen that happen with several Version Upgrades over the last decade or so, seems when the Registry is written/rewritten during the install that things not actually saved to the HDD do get 'lost', just one of those things we have to deal with. To explain further, the Registry is made of up 5 Hives [editable text files] necessary for Windows to know how to run itself. Editing those files is not for everyone to do, make one mistake and Windows can become unusable.

Reaction score
Thanks. I understand the registry. But, while I am OK losing my past history, it won't actually create a new one either.

So, do you know the registry setting I need to look at?

Alan

Reaction score
HI Alan,

are you running a cleaning app and if so, what are its settings?. It may be erasing your history?. :)

Reaction score
As always, I'm confused?

1. I don't have "run" in my initial start, it is buried in the Windows System folder. (A right click shows it, however). But, this is all I see, and all I have ever seen??

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I use classic shell to 'expose' the run command. And I have always had a history which comes up when I hit the little down arrow icon at the right of the entry line (the 'v' above).

Alan

Reaction score
Ok. Gotcha. I'll leave it to Bighorn and Wolfie. I have no knowledge of using it

Ok. I just did a google. This is what is needed:
Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.
Look for a value named "Start_TrackProgs". It should be "1"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice find, grizzly. One wonders, though, assuming the user has not altered anything, why the professors at Microsoft change user setting defaults when launching an update.

Reaction score
Agreed. I didn't touch that area (before just now).

Interestingly, I just updated a laptop and the "Run" history remained intact.

Reaction score
No one ever knows why this is changed on one pc and not on another. It does not seem any rhyme or reason behind that. i posted the above cause I was in the same predicament as the TO and I had asked here as well (its been a while though). it took me a lot longer to find that setting cause I could not remember where I had seen it, age is slowly catching up with me.....

Ask a Question