Lsalso.exe Error

Reaction score
I keep getting this error. I went and disabled VSM but that didn't do anything. I'm not going to lie I had a rough Windows 10 install. I had to sfc/scannow to fix a bunch of files.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-11-06 190651.png
    Annotation 2019-11-06 190651.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 203

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Was this a clean install of windows or did you use the built in reset install? If you used the windows reset method, did you keep your personal files or start fresh?

If this were my PC this is what I would do: I would download the MS MCT tool and create a bootable install media, preferably a USB. Then set the boot drive to USB in the BIOS or on a reboot choose F12 key to access the boot menu directly and perform a clean install.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you open Event Viewer, are you able to see what Event ID is being assigned to your Lsalso.exe error.

For example: Event ID 15 would point to Windows Defender Credential Guard — if this is your issue, you'd need to read the full details to ascertain which Kernel is failing to run, because EID-15 implies the Credential Guard is in fact starting, but is unable to run optimally because a secure Kernel needed to achieve this is failing to execute ( meaning it may be corrupt or missing altogether ).

If the kernel is missing then following the suggestion from bassfisher6522 would be a simple way to resolve the issue.

Reaction score
Was this a clean install of windows or did you use the built in reset install? If you used the windows reset method, did you keep your personal files or start fresh?

If this were my PC this is what I would do: I would download the MS MCT tool and create a bootable install media, preferably a USB. Then set the boot drive to USB in the BIOS or on a reboot choose F12 key to access the boot menu directly and perform a clean install.

This was a clean install. Made a bootable USB and everything.

Reaction score
If you open Event Viewer, are you able to see what Event ID is being assigned to your Lsalso.exe error.

For example: Event ID 15 would point to Windows Defender Credential Guard — if this is your issue, you'd need to read the full details to ascertain which Kernel is failing to run, because EID-15 implies the Credential Guard is in fact starting, but is unable to run optimally because a secure Kernel needed to achieve this is failing to execute ( meaning it may be corrupt or missing altogether ).

If the kernel is missing then following the suggestion from bassfisher6522 would be a simple way to resolve the issue.

Is there a way to filter and find it? I'm trying to look through all the events to find it but there's a bunch of them. I'd rather not have to reinstall because I just finished installing all my programs and everything.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Is there a way to filter and find it?

Yes, on the right pane of Event Viewer click Filter current log then in dialog that opens, half way down click the field where it says <All event IDs> and type the ID number you want to view.

Also a little further down the same dialog you can customize item to search by for example typing Windows Defender Credential Manager.

Reaction score
Yes, on the right pane of Event Viewer click Filter current log then in dialog that opens, half way down click the field where it says <All event IDs> and type the ID number you want to view.

Also a little further down the same dialog you can customize item to search by for example typing Windows Defender Credential Manager.
Annotation 2019-11-06 195835.png

I found the folder and just deleted it. It seemed to make the error go away. Dunno. I'll repost if it rears its face again.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Odd location for a vbscript script file to end up.

You may want to run a anti malware scan on your System too, to be sure your System has not been expose to some malicious attack.

Ask a Question