m.2 drive as boot with reg ssd

Reaction score
hi guys
i want to use my Crucial mx500 m.2 ssd as boot and use my 500 gig samsung ssd as storage etc
should i boot to the m.2 and install windows 10 first and then add the samsung ssd afterwards?im trying to use the m.2 as pri boot and have the added storage on another ssd .the crucial m.2 is 256 gig and should be well enough for any win 10 install
thanx for any input

Reaction score
Does the M.2 already have a bootable Operating System installed? If so I'd unplug the SSD then install or Upgrade to the M.2 and after it's running plug the SSD back in. There may be issues if also having an OS on the SSD, better if it was empty then can be managed later.

Reaction score
Does the M.2 already have a bootable Operating System installed? If so I'd unplug the SSD then install or Upgrade to the M.2 and after it's running plug the SSD back in. There may be issues if also having an OS on the SSD, better if it was empty then can be managed later.

yes sir
i did install windows 10 on the m.2,i was going to add the other ssd after the win 10 on the m.2 fully updates.im just a little green to using multible ssds

Reaction score
Mostly they are handled like the SATA HDDs. Physically they are different, plug into different slots or sockets on the motherboard but the BIOS may handle the M.2 differently.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It may also be the case that, depending on your MoBo and its' firmware, using an m2 may result in one or two of the onboard SATA ports to be disabled. It's important to read your motherboard manual for any such reference.
• On the motherboard there are three length adjustment holes for the M.2 SSD. Select the proper hole for the M.2 SSD to be installed and refasten the screw and nut. • M.2, SATA Express, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed.
SOURCE: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z97x-gaming7_e.pdf
Page 29.

All motherboards and their firmware are different.

Reaction score
My Lenovo laptop ( 7 years old) treats its SATA SSD as C: I added a 128Mb M2 drive in the spare slot which is shown as D:

If I had to reload Windows from scratch I would put the OS onto the M2 drive. I would expect to have to unplug the SATA drives first.

Reaction score
Install windows OP C: on the M,2 and after the install plug the Samsung SSD later onto the system system as a slave.

Ask a Question