Macrium Reflect

Reaction score
Old geeks never die. Neither does my Vertex 4 from 2012. Cloning a 1 TB 5400 RPM spinner with Win 10 Home to a 256GB SSD via USB took a bit of research and time.

Now, instead of 2 to 3 minutes startup time, about 10 seconds to desktop. It is hard to believe they still make laptop units that are that slow..

I can tell you that manually shrinking the HDD OS partiton in windows disk management did not work. Macrium has the drag and drop feature, so, after hitting my head against the wall twice without success, I finally drug the 5 partitions (4 hidden + OS) leaving the last drag and drop for the OS. It automatically reallocated the free space that has been my bane and about 35 minutes later, bing bang boom.

Got a M2 x 3 512GB on the way (3500 read, 2500 write). Blast off to commence shortly...

Now I am attacking the Win 7 OS from the old laptop SSD to bring over to this unit, then an in place upgrade to Win 10 Pro. Almost got it yesterday with Paragon Adaptive Restore.

I still do not like Windows 10, it is like a blessing and nightmare all rolled into one...

I am assimilating, fighting all the way...over and out...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am currently transferring all my files to a new bigger disk (500GB SSD to 1TB SSD) and have added a third OS to it as well. Although my main OS is Windows 10, on occasion I need Win7 as well as WinXP (the third one). Already have installed the pure OS of XP and Win7 (Win7 took forever) whereas XP was the original install of my laptop. From that one can see that my laptop is a wee older....
Next will be Windows 10 but only 1803 as the successors won't work properly with my hardware...
Bottom line is we both have a bit to do until everything is up and running.

Ask a Question