Microsoft’s Windows 10 April 2018 Update arrives on Monday

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Yes, the one non-insider with 17133.1 has not gotten any updates except for Defender.

I just reinstalled and am trying to decide if I want to sign this install up for the Insider program. I could test if the .5 update was still available since I am on .1 right now. I suppose I could get out after the public version was released on Monday.
Now available via windows update and it is 1803.17134.1 will also download and install update for windows defender

Reaction score
pharab What version of Windows 10 do you have. Win10 "Pro" or "Home Edition" ?
I'm not sure if you can defer updates with the Home Edition

Reaction score

I'd recommend everyone blocking this update - steaming pile of you know what - once again bricked Networking .. these clowns couldnt get a keyboard and mouse to work with their program

Reaction score

I have the Pro version. I already set AU to 2, which is notify to download & automatic install. Problem is that it doesn't always tell me exactly what update will be installed & if I click "check for updates", it download & installs. I used Winaero, but the advice on the Winaero website looks different than what's on mine. It's either disabel or nothing. https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-windows-update-in-windows-10-rtm/

Reaction score
phrab, this may help: Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> ADVANCED OPTIONS

2018-05-01_203535.jpg

Reaction score
I thought I was downloading the big spring update and after it installed, no automatic restart. I thought that kind of weird and manually restarted. I had to click on some options and then when it booted into Windows, I notice I have version 1709 build 16299.402.
What does here? I've rechecked for further updates but none. Is the big one yet to come?

Reaction score
phrab, this may help: Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> ADVANCED OPTIONS

View attachment 8497
Thank you! I had forgotten about that & originally set it for 2 days. I've now set it for 30. If I decide that I want the update, do I just change that number back to 1 or 2? i.e. I see you have it set for 365, but I don't want to delay it that long.

Reaction score
As I mentioned in an earlier post somewhere, Many weeks ago, I downloaded and installed the 17134.1 on a spare laptop, but, on another, decided to let it go through the normal update processes.
I was apprehensive as to what would happen to the preinstalled Laptop, when the big day came, particulary after reading comments on the ".5" update
ultimately, it turned out that for reasons unknown, the ".5" was only for insiders.
I have been using both Laptops constantly, without errors.
I now find that after the April update, the untouched machine did, in fact update perfectly. The preinstalled one did nothing. But I finished up with both machines running the same version.

It depresses me, however, to, once again, start reading of all the complaints and failures since the April update.
Right through the history of Windows 10, I have only experienced small irritants, but no failures at any time.

I am perfectly satisfied with Windows 10, it all works for me, but, I am disappointed in what it offers. I have taken the rouble to install the original Windows 10, first release, on another machine. I cannot, hard as I look, see what remarkable improvements MS have made over the last couple of years. A few things moved around, perhaps, but nothing that should excite an end user.

Windows 8.1 worked fine for me, but as I have got used to Windows 10, I guess I may as well stay with it.
I certainly, however, will not be taking much interest in any future builds, Redstone 5, for example, . I have come to the end of the line.

Reaction score
I thought I was downloading the big spring update and after it installed, no automatic restart. I thought that kind of weird and manually restarted. I had to click on some options and then when it booted into Windows, I notice I have version 1709 build 16299.402.
What does here? I've rechecked for further updates but none. Is the big one yet to come?

Now I think I see the problem. I'm being shown in the Update History, Feature Updates (1) then Feature Updates to Windows, Version 1803, Requires a Restart to finish Installing.
Of course, as ya all know, restarting doesn't do anything. I'm wondering if I should re-download manually from the Site that says Download Windows 10 from this site. Would any recommend doing just that, downloading it manually and installing it right over the previous attempted update? This is the site I'm thinking I should update from. Please advise.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reaction score
I also did a Troubleshooter on Windows Updates and got this exciting message, "Download and install updates - did you know there are pending updates for this machine? Choose Apply This Fix option below to start the update process in the background immediately."
Should I indeed apply that fix or would you advise to simply redownload from the site I have shown in the previous post?

Reaction score
Thank you! I had forgotten about that & originally set it for 2 days. I've now set it for 30. If I decide that I want the update, do I just change that number back to 1 or 2? i.e. I see you have it set for 365, but I don't want to delay it that long.
Well, I did not set it that way, this was just for demonstration on how long it can be delayed....

Reaction score
I wondered that myself. I was assuming that it would come out as 17134.5 but they decided otherwise....
The other day Trouble mentioned those updates, like the .5, are basically Insider updates. But in both this build and the 17133.1 build, the update wiped out any history of updates and did not allow new ones to show. There are some folks who have not experienced it but my machine has that problem.

After I realized they may be special updates, I uninstalled the update and was able to download some software from which I had been "blocked" from doing. Possibly because the .5 was not the public version build version.

But even after uninstalling the .5 update, my update history is still blank. I may be inline for another clean install except I am worried the update will happen for the public builds so it would do me no good.. My public builds are all showing the updates and .1 for the version.

Reaction score
yes, the .5 update was only for the insiders and my history is gone as well. My public history is gone as well (the one from the 17134.1, not even the MSRT updates show up)

Reaction score
yes, the .5 update was only for the insiders and my history is gone as well. My public history is gone as well (the one from the 17134.1, not even the MSRT updates show up)
Today, my system started showing Defender updates. I don't know if anything I did was involved but I did shut it down overnight and yesterday I renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder.

This was after I had already uninstalled the .5 update on this now , non-Insider system.

Reaction score
Use the MCT to create your upgrade install media and you'll get 1803 they page even says so

Ask a Question