SOLVED Microsoft Edge browser wont work after upgrading SSD

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just upgraded to a larger SSD (by cloning it), and since then Edge wont work. I use Chrome for most searches but find Edge is better for news searches.

- I can't uninstall and re-install it because Microsoft doesn't allow that (very annoying).
- if I search for the executable in file manager, it's nowhere to be found.
- If I type 'Edge' in the toolbar search box, it finds it, but shows a generic icon, not the correct icon, and it wont open
- I know it exists somewhere because, before I re-made Chrome my default, a web link fired it up
- I've tried to 'Repair' it, and also 'Reset' it in Program Manager - made no difference
- I've used a Registry utility to clean up any registry issues - and it all seems to be fine, but made no difference
- Windows 10 itself appears to think that everything is fine too - not showing any system errors - and completely up to date
- I ran the System File Checker Tool - sfc /scannow - and everything is fine

Surely there must be an easy way to get this browser to work?

SPEC:
- Windows 10 - version 2004 (OS Build: 19041.572)
- Intel Core i7 3770K Processor 3.50 GHz
- Asus P8B75-M LX Basic Micro ATX Motherboard
- 16GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 8GB sticks), Channel # Dual, DRAM Freq 798.2 MHz,
- Samsung 860 series: 1Tb SSD (upgraded from original 250Gb SSD)
- 3 other (mechanical) hard drives

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi tallonius,

choice one is to open Settings > Apps > scroll down to Microsoft Edge and see if you can reset the app there!.

The 2nd choice is to upgrade your system to Win 10 2009 which is out now. I must warn you that it will install the Chromium version of Edge by default!.

Be aware that this page is directed toward the UK English version!. Scroll down the page (bottom left) to change the language .. :):):)

Reaction score
Thanks Wolfie, but already tried resting it but made no difference.

I have automatic updates on, so not sure why I would need to manually update to Win 10 2009 (or why I have Win 10 2004??) Whats the difference?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried experimenting with another user?
Just as a trial, create a new local user account as a member of the local administrators group.
See if Edge works normally for that user profile.
IF it does then that might suggest an issue with your profile, which might be your Windows 10 profile or just your Edge browser profile.
IF not then that would indicate a global problem with the OS.

Reaction score
Hi tallonius,

the auto update may take time to filter down to all computers, if you do a manual upgrade to 2009, it may well fix any problem(s) you have now!. :)

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into that anyway as it might resolve other minor issues, but I've meanwhile resolved the Edge issue:

i hadn't realised that Edge Chromium was the new Edge and after re-booting a couple of times I was able to download and install it, and it now works.

Thanks for all the good advice!

Ask a Question