Missing sound after 1803 update

Reaction score
Is it just me or has anybody else lost laptop audio since the 1803 update? I only have an old toshiba l300 but it was perfect running 1709

Reaction score
Press the Windows and "i" keys simultaneously, scroll down to "Update and Security", select "Troubleshoot", then "Playing Audio".

Ben

Reaction score
THANKS BEN. I HAVE TRIED TROUBLESHOOTING. UPDATING DRIVERS, UNINSTALL, REINSTALL ETC WITH NO LUCK. I HAD MS REMOTE ASSISTANT ON IT YESTERDAY BUT HE DID ALL THE SAME THINGS WITH SAME RESULT, HE WOULDNT CONFIRM OR DENY IT IS AN UPDATE ISSUE.
I USED MY PARTED MAGIC CD WHICH BOOTS FIREFOX FROM RAM AND THE SOUND WAS WORKING FINE SO THE PROBLEM HAS TO BE IN THE WINDOWS SYSTEM SOMEWHERE.
I HAVE HEARD FROM SOMEBODY WHO HAS SAME PROBLEM AND THEY HAVE DITCHED THEIR MOTHERBOARD THINKING IT WAS SHOT BUT THAT WAS A BIT DRASTIC SO I HOPE FOR A SOLUTION TO COME SOON

Reaction score
Press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type "devmgmt.msc" into the "Run" box and click "OK". When Device Manager starts, expand "Sound, Video and Game Controllers", right-click the sound device, select "Update driver", "Browse my computer for driver software on my computer", then "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer". If one is found, install it. You may have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Ben

Reaction score
Thanks Ben
It looks like the internal speakers are not being detected, i know they work so may be a motherboard fault after all

Reaction score
Hi

If you haven't already tried this, this is worth a shot.

Go into Device Manager find your sound device, right click on it and select Uninstall Device, then reboot.
If it asks you do you want to delete the driver say yes.

It will force Windows to find and configure the sound device, and pick a driver for it.

It's strange that it happened in conjunction with the update, that doesn't suggest a physical failure.

If you have an image of your boot drive it would be worth using it and see if everything goes back to normal.
My guess is that it will.

I have exactly the opposite problem, after switching to Windows 10 my sound card wouldn't work, reliably, I had to keep fixing it every time there was an update.

I finally stopped using it and switched to my onboard sound, found that I couldn't hear any difference and never went back to using my sound card.

So you may want to just buy a inexpensive sound card and plug it in if nothing else seems to work.

If the sound on the motherboard isn't working that doesn't mean it wouldn't detect a sound card.

Mike

Reaction score
Thanks Mike, i have resigned myself to the fact that the internal sound card is dead so i took your advice and bought a cheap (less than 2quid) usb sound card and I'm pleased to say i can now use my headphones, thanks

Ask a Question