SOLVED Moderator Controlled File Respository?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

I've been working on a problem one of our members has been experiencing with an application / Browser add-on provided by AVG some years ago, but now technically off the shelf and no longer supported.

After some time searching I managed to locate a very old installation file of this application online [ however, it is not stored on AVG's servers ].

Ironically, this issue this user is having may be resolvable by re-installing the unwanted application then re-running the uninstall class it came with.

This leads me to a suggestion. Could we have a moderator controlled repository where a file such as I am discussing could be uploaded and access to that file is provided to the person needing it, rather than allowing all Guests or members to access the file or website it came from?

I ask, as during my research into this issue it has become apparent the application is borderline adware and had some serious issues - which I suspect is why its been deprecated in the first place. Thus I am comfortable supporting the person to reinstall then uninstall the application, but I do not want to post a public download link - as I am not comfortable allowing guests or other members being lead to believe this would be a good security install - because clearly its not.

Just a thought. I've posted it publicly - rather than the Admin lounge - so other members can add their opinion

Cheers,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Interesting, but, imho, not such a good idea. Obviously just me, but would it not be better to publish the item, or a link to it, with a warning?
It could be placed under "User contributed Articles, or, better, as on other forums, under Tutorials - again with the warning.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Obviously just me, but would it not be better to publish the item, or a link to it, with a warning?

I thought about that but given people install apps and don't bother to check what they are actually installing, despite installation gui's having clear items to check - or not check - and most people won't take the time to read the TOS they agree to, I figured would a simple warning even be noticed [ or followed for that matter ].

Reaction score
This is a forum not a file repository. It takes space to handle storage needs of files, especially installation files.

Reaction score
Links?
I thought about that but given people install apps and don't bother to check what they are actually installing, despite installation gui's having clear items to check - or not check - and most people won't take the time to read the TOS they agree to, I figured would a simple warning even be noticed [ or followed for that matter ].
Absolutely. The reason most get into trouble in the first instance!!

Regedit32

Reaction score
This is a forum not a file repository. It takes space to handle storage needs of files, especially installation files.

Good point!

As it happens, the issue that lead me to raise this idea has now been resolved - without the need to re-download the problematic software that began this.

It occurred to me too - its been ages since I was online - I forgot you can send a private message to an individual member in our Forum, so should I need to point someone to something to help them, that I do not wish the entire Forum to be exposed to, I can simply post a message to the individual in need.

I'll mark this thread as resolved as a result :)

Thanks for your opinions guys! Two heads are always better than one :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Although this has now been sorted, I thought I'd throw my thoughts in :). File hosting is a complicated matter, as we regularly get "takedown" notices from companies that believe we're hosting downloads that don't belong to us. Ironically, 90% of our takedown notices come from Microsoft lawyers/copyright agencies misidentifying things on the site - these are easy enough to prove, thankfully. I'd be hesitant to host software, particularly if it's borderline adware. With things like this, I tread on the side of caution, as a legitimate takedown notice is very problematic to resolve.

Regedit32

Reaction score
File hosting is a complicated matter, as we regularly get "takedown" notices from companies that believe we're hosting downloads that don't belong to us.

Ahh another great point. I had not considered that either. Generally I post a source and credit note when information I am giving is taken from someone else's efforts.

I did not really explain the original idea so well. I had meant, temporarily host file, so you could give an individual access to it, then once they got the file the moderator would remove the file.

Nevertheless, I think its best just not to go there at all. I do not want to wake up to the Morning News - European Union fines Ian $200 million euros for copyright infringements o_O

Reaction score
Lol (perhaps?) Stranger things happening in politics at the moment!!!
A good opportunity to point out the simlar practise, which occurs from time to time, of copyying and pasting work, in particular tutorials, verbatim, from other sources. No copyright as such, but rather immoral.

Last edited:

Ask a Question