Windows Defender Security Center-Controlled folder access is not allowing me to save file

Reaction score
HiGroup:

I am having trouble saving files. I think it is caused by something within Windows Defender Security Center. I am getting pop-ups that read something like:

Virus & threat protection (line 1 of error message)
Unauthorized changes blocked (line 2)
Controlled folder access blocked C:\Program...\soffice.bin from making changes to the folder %de..\DESKTOP CALC SHE... (line 3 of error message).

This problem arises with many programs when attempting to save an edited/revised file, with Notepad being the only known exception.

The name of the blocked program varies, as does the name of the folder that contains the program. For example: soffice.bin is the name of the program and \DESKTOP CALC SHEETS is the name of the folder.

Please help! At this point I cannot accomplish any computer work if I am not able to edit and then save any file.

TNX.
VinceB

Reaction score
soffice.bin is part of LibreOffice and probably OpenOffice, goes back to the old StarOffice that both are descended from. It's in my C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\Program but the usual file association is with the .exe/executable file for the program, in this case that would probably be soffice.exe in the same location. Double-clicking the soffice.bin does not open the program while double-clicking soffice.exe does.

Reaction score
How do I turn this "Controlled folder access" thingie to OFF? I saw it here briefly, but not able to relocate the toggle switch. TNX.

HiGroup:

I am having trouble saving files. I think it is caused by something within Windows Defender Security Center. I am getting pop-ups that read something like:

Controlled folder access blocked C:\Program...\soffice.bin from making changes to the folder %de..\DESKTOP CALC SHE... (line 3 of error message).

This problem arises with many programs when attempting to save an edited/revised file, with Notepad being the only known exception.

The name of the blocked program varies, as does the name of the folder that contains the program. For example: soffice.bin is the name of the program and \DESKTOP CALC SHEETS is the name of the folder.

Please help! At this point I cannot accomplish any computer work if I am not able to edit and then save any file.

TNX.
VinceB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Start Button -> Settings (gear cog) -> Update & Security -> Windows Security (left column) -> Virus & threat protection -> Virus & threat protection settings (Manage settings link) -> Controlled folder access (Manage Controlled folder access link)
"Controlled folder access" Slider ON or OFF

Reaction score
Start Button -> Settings (gear cog) -> Update & Security -> Windows Security (left column) -> Virus & threat protection -> Virus & threat protection settings (Manage settings link) -> Controlled folder access (Manage Controlled folder access link)
"Controlled folder access" Slider ON or OFF

Hi Noob:
I was unable to follow your path, possibly because I am running on WIN10 (no Manage settings link nor manage Controlled folder access link).

But I did manage to stumble onto the "Controlled folder access" toggle switch under "Ransomware protection". I did not expect to find it there.

Many TNX for your reply.

Screenshot (34).png

Screenshot (34).png

Reaction score
Update:

I have located the toggle switch for disabling the "Controlled folder access" function in Windows Defender Security Center. I have reset the toggle to Off, and things are now back to what I normally want. So, my initial problem is now solved.

New Question: Does Win10 Defender Security Center default with the Controlled folder access slider switch set to the On position?

If yes, that would mean that all apps/filles/folders/memory other than those produced by Microsoft would create the problem that I described below.

I don't recall ever setting that toggle switch to the On position. I cannot imagine any reason why I should want to have that toggle switch set to the On position. Can anyone give an example(s) of when it might be set to the On position? I believe that it is a global switch on to disable operation of non-MS products.

Regards,
VinceB

HiGroup:

TNX.
VinceB

Reaction score
Update:

I have located the toggle switch for disabling the "Controlled folder access" function in Windows Defender Security Center. I have reset the toggle to Off, and things are now back to what I normally want. So, my initial problem is now solved.

New Question: Does Win10 Defender Security Center default with the Controlled folder access slider switch set to the On position?

If yes, that would mean that all apps/filles/folders/memory other than those produced by Microsoft would create the problem that I described below.

I don't recall ever setting that toggle switch to the On position. I cannot imagine any reason why I should want to have that toggle switch set to the On position. Can anyone give an example(s) of when it might be set to the On position? I believe that it is a global switch on to disable operation of non-MS products.

Regards,
VinceB

Reaction score
I gather that Malware could arrive disguised as an update for some App. In my case I have a list of .exe files in the Virus/Ransomware area with no explanation as to whether they are or were blocked and nothing I do seems to remove them - except for a "remove" button. Removed from what? the list, the computer?

Ask a Question