Windows Defender Security Center

Reaction score
Recently the Defender Icon shows a triangle with an exclamation mark in it. Turns out the "PCHealth" report showed a potential driver problem or issues with the laptop battery (mainly screen brightness even though the battery is new). Sometimes a restart gets "rid" of these issues as a new report has not been created.
Is there a way to choose what should be included in this report?
Is there maybe another way to exclude these issues?

Reaction score
Hi Grizzly, it might be a bug?, I have a similar problem whereby it tells me my battery is set to infinite (it was but I changed it to one hour and it still shows!).

I looked in System Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional settings > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings but don't really know what else to do as I cannot find out what I should switch off?

Attachments

• battery life.JPG
    battery life.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 634
  • power settings.JPG
    power settings.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
Reaction score
This is what I always get:

2017-04-22_020124.jpg

even though the brightness is on 50%....
the best part is, the laptop is not even running on battery,,,,,

Reaction score
Similar to me, I am running on AC/DC but the warning message is still there?:

power sleep settings.JPG

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Try cheating, turn the brightness down one tick, minimum amount and see what happens.

Reaction score
I cranked the brightness up to 100% but the warning is still there!. :eek:

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I said down not up... 99% if possible.

Reaction score
Windows simply does not get it. Even with the brightness down, it still thinks it is at 100% (even after a restart). I have looked for different settings but found none, not sure where Windows get the information...

I am just wondering what brightness or a driver issues has to do with Windows defender. Someone at MS overshot in a big way....

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I tried down and up on different setting levels, no joy!. :(

Hi Wolfie Auuuuu ;)

That makes no sense, why complain that brightness is max and keep complaining when its not.... Windows pfff. Ill have to look into it on my missus work laptop.

Reaction score
Well, at least I am not the only one that is fussing about it. I just want to understand why it is that way....
Maybe it is just a bug.....

Reaction score
Hi Grizzly & Data,

following Data's advice and turning the brightness slider up/down with different settings and after a restart, the message is gone now?. Bugs are out the window by the look of things!. :p

Reaction score
The message is only gone cause you do not have a new health report yet. Wait until a new report is created and you have the same thing again.....

Reaction score
Hi Grizzly. :)

I should also add that I ran the laptop on battery and let it run down to 6% and then switched it off and then restarted!. :D

Anyway, I am good to go, there is no message showing now!. :D

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the Windows Defender Security Center "Device performance & health" reporting feature.
I posted the following in the "Feed Back Hub"
I have a hard disk that I keep disabled intentionally in device manager. It's for manual backup purposes only. Windows Defender Security Center Device performance & health keeps reporting a driver issue, which of course there is not. I think there should be a way to tell it to ignore or stop reporting in these types of instances, where devices are disabled intentionally by the user.
AND then up-voted every other feed back post I saw of similar nature.
Even the old Security and Maintenance Center going back to Windows 7 you could tell it to ignore, archive or stop telling you about certain issues. Seems like an easy thing to add back to enhance the functionality.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
AND then up-voted every other feed back post I saw of similar nature.

Curiously I think MS only take notice at the the 15k upvotes (Ive no idea really but wouldnt surprise me either), I do exactly the same as you do ;) report then upvote everything thats describes same/similar issue.

Reaction score
I am quite happy with Windows Defender as it basically just sits there and doesn't moan about anything.

What MS could do to improve their services is to employ more people with common sense, their techs may have a lot of savvy about programming etc. but they often show a distinct lack of common sense!. :p

Bif

Reaction score
I am quite happy with Windows Defender as it basically just sits there and doesn't moan about anything.

What MS could do to improve their services is to employ more people with common sense, their techs may have a lot of savvy about programming etc. but they often show a distinct lack of common sense!. :p
images.jpg

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@Bif They have taken that literally and ripped out all common sense :D

@Grizzly Wast that brightness issue solved by playing around with the slider up/down?

Ask a Question