Question to Admin and moderators

Reaction score
Am I allowed to tell users the generic Windows 10 product key.
A lot of them did clean install and unable to activate.
I was tempted to tell them, but I checked myself.

I need to know for sure if it is permitted to do so in these forums.

Reaction score
I'm neither admin or moderator, but my question is what are you classifying as generic. Is that something legitimately available from Microsoft? If not then I would question it's legitimacy not to be blacklisted.

Reaction score
If Microsoft isn't releasing this "generic" key, I would say no. It's not like people would use it for illegal purposes.

If people can't activate their copy, they need to contact Microsoft. Or better yet, reinstall their previous version of Windows, upgrade, activate, then do a clean install.

Reaction score
I think the term "generic" was invented by subscribers to the web, not by MS, but I could be wrong. There was, at one stage, a published list of keys required for the installation, but not activation. These have since become superfluous, as these keys can only install Windows for evaluation or testing for a short time.
It's not possible to activate it unless you enter a genuine key.
As you know, when you upgrade to the free 10 from an activated Windows 7/8.1 PC, you do not get a product key, but the free Windows 10 activation is registered on MS activation servers for your PC instead. This is not "generic/common, but is unique to each installation. For this reason entering a key during a clean install is a bad idea, if done after you already upgraded to register the activation.
Referring to the OP. I am not aware of a common key to activate Windows 10, but I feel sure it would not be coming from MS, so perhaps David should wait for a definitive answer from the Admin.

Ask a Question