Monitor screen said to be wrong relolutions, but not?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently updated to a larger monitor ie: 21 cm and an LG, model no. 22M38D. When I insert it for a Search it puts a '-B' on the end of that. My previous monitor was an Acer 17 cm, but apparently they don't do that size now. (I'd had that monitor for 13yrs!) On Start Up a panel comes up in the bottom-right corner of the screen to say the resolutions aren't set to the correct dimensions recommended, and gives them as being 1920/1080 60Z (don't know where a 'times' symbol is on keyboard?) Going by the colours on the panel it looks like it comes from the menu there, but I can't find it. It didn't stay long enough for me to read it all, so I just had my pen and pad ready and took down the resolutions.

Trouble is, on the Display Settings page it gives those resolutions as being already in and has a (recommended) at the side. It seems to have all the recommended settings in. This screen is much longer than I'm used to as the other was more square. I said to my computer man who set the screen up that my Desk Top icons seemed to look smaller than before, but he just said it was because the screen was larger and told me to 'play around' in the settings etc. That moves your icons out of position though, but I know how to move them around. I've got used to the size of the icons now, but they're not over small. Why though, does it say the resolutions are wrong if they're not? The other ones in the drop-down box would be wrong as this is the top one in the box and the brightness, I think it is, is set to 100% which it says is recommended.

I had to experiment to find out how to move around the menu at bottom of screen by clicking the buttons under the frame, which I didn't know were there at first. The settings are supposed to be correct in there, ie: brightness 100%, Contrast, 70% I found out how to bring up Next menu, but don't really understand what the things are for. It has arrows pointing in opposite directions and one pointing up I think but I suppose I'm using those already. Computer man should have given a demo of it, as I didn't even know it was there. Screen has a 'misty' look but it depends what level you're sitting at, as the colours deepen if I'm sitting down or a bit further away. Would like to know about the resolutions though and why it says they're wrong if they aren't? I've got two links for the LG web site, but it doesn't mention anything about resolutions for it.

Reaction score
According to LG's website http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-22M38D-B-led-monitor the monitor's 'natural' resolution is 1920 by 1080. The 60 is the refresh rate in Hz.

You have been through Windows display settings? Windows should detect the display correctly if you have it plugged in DVI-D or HDMI.

The resolutions are set to that on the Windows 10 Display Settings page in the drop-down box, as I said. It's the first one in the box. It's got a Detect button down below, but that's for Multiple Displays it says as older displays can't always be detected and it's to connect them or something. I pressed it but nothing seemed to happen. I don't know what being plugged in at DVI-D or H'DMI means, as the computer man set it up. So, it should be showing the correct resolutions then, so don't know why that panel comes up on Start Up?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
as the computer man set it up. So, it should be showing the correct resolutions then, so don't know why that panel comes up on Start Up?
It's probably not something you need to concern yourself with, IF the computer and monitor seem to be working fine after everything comes up and is running.
IS it you habit to turn on the monitor before turning on the computer?
It may just be a default message that the monitor displays if no signal is detected on the interface cable immediately after switching it on.
I don't know what being plugged in at DVI-D or H'DMI means
Depending on the video card installed in your computer, you might be using one of three typical interface cables to connect the monitor to the computer

Dsub DVI HDMI.jpg

From left to right
Dsub 15 pin, DVI and HDMI
OR
You might be using any number of adapter / conversion cables to adapt one end to a different interface plug from your computer to the monitor.
Again...... nothing you need to concern yourself with.

Reaction score
This link shows the connectors HDMI, DVI-D and VGA
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/acce...port-vs-dvi-vs-vga-every-connection-explained

Ignore the others.

You said your old monitor was 13 years old so it might be connected VGA. How old is the PC? If the PC has HDMI ( less likely) or DVI-D connecting that way could well solve your problem.

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your reply. I've had a look at some of the info on that link, and my comp monitor seems to comply with the resolutions and figures quoted there etc. I had a look at the plug on my old monitor( it's waiting to go for kerb side pick-up on Sept 4th) and it has the blue plug shown in the picture below posted by Trouble. That must be the VGA then. 'Course, I'm not using that now, it's a completely new monitor and plug. I looked at the back of my new monitor and it has the black one on the right, but I can't say what the very end looks like ie: metal end, with it being plugged in, I'd have to look before I started it up. Computer man left me a spare flex which I forgot to ask him what it was for. It just has the black end but no metal and three small rectangular holes arranged in a triangle. He opened a brand new box with the monitor, that he'd gone to get, and came back next day I think it was.

This PC was built by him about 4 or 5yrs ago I think (I'll have the bill in my A to Z file) as I bought the original one altogether with my other monitor from a shop that built customized computers, and that was around early 2000. Well, I must have got that one at same time as my other monitor as I bought it all at once. I see it mentions about speakers you buy with your monitor as not being very good. The earlier comp, the shop owner gave me the speakers for nothing, which looked nice as they were black to match comp and velvet at the front, but not very good. My eldest son who lived in WA at the time gave me some brand new, or I can't remember if he already had them but unused, a pair of K-mart speakers, just tall, white plastic cased ones, and they sounded much better! I'm still using them with this comp and monitor. My computer man never mentioned anything about speakers, but this monitor must not have come with any. If this new monitor has the black plug on the right, it must have the HDMI. I'll go answer the other reply below now and put a bit more info. Thanks for help. I'll read some more at that link at a later time.

Reaction score
It's probably not something you need to concern yourself with, IF the computer and monitor seem to be working fine after everything comes up and is running.
IS it you habit to turn on the monitor before turning on the computer?
It may just be a default message that the monitor displays if no signal is detected on the interface cable immediately after switching it on.

Depending on the video card installed in your computer, you might be using one of three typical interface cables to connect the monitor to the computer

View attachment 7038

From left to right
Dsub 15 pin, DVI and HDMI
OR
You might be using any number of adapter / conversion cables to adapt one end to a different interface plug from your computer to the monitor.
Again...... nothing you need to concern yourself with.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. You can see the info I've put in the reply above from Tim, so I won't repeat it. Thanks for those pictures. On Startup today, the panel didn't appear. I'm not sure if it comes up everytime, but it does come up regularly, but not today. I actually do switch the monitor on first, before the comp, otherwise nothing would show on the screen, so it could be what you say. I have a sequence of switching on. I switch speakers on first then the screen, then my Wi Fi modem at the wall, then on the device itself, and computer last. The only thing I don't switch off when I'm finished is the comp at the wall, unless there's a power cut or there's going to be a thunderstorm. It does come on to say there isn't a signal and that it's going into power saving mode shortly, that's before I've switched the comp on.

Maybe everything's OK then, just not detecting it 'til comp's on. I don't like the misty look of the screen, though it is a nice panoramic view for photos etc, but as I've mentioned, it just depends what angle you're looking at it at ie: sat down or sat a bit away from it such as on the arm of my settee nearby in front, when I want to watch some of the screen saver slideshow. The colours look deeper then. When I click into one of my photo folders, some of the photos don't fill the screen like my older monitor, but then they wouldn't with the bigger screen. They can come up bigger in the slideshow, then, of course you get those that aren't as sharp with the larger screen which I expect depends on the amount of pixels for the size. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
I checked the plug on the back of my monitor again, in daylight this time, as I was looking at it from the right-hand side in my subdued lounge light and it looked black. In fact looking at it from the left side in daylight, it is actually blue like the one on the left of the photo, so it might be the one mentioned, the VGA. It's still showing that panel on Startup and it gives what resolutions it's at now, which is 1028 / 764 60 HZ which I think must be the old 17cm monitor, as it's set to that 1920/ 1080 60Z in the Display Settings in the drop-down box. . I can click for it to Don't Show this panel again. I've tried switching the screen on just before I switch the comp on and everything else is switched on, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Probably is something to so with Windows not detecting it though I should think.

Ask a Question