Monitor is blinking and screen goes black

Reaction score
I got a weird issue a few days ago. I booted my computer, and my monitor was black. Everything was connected. I took the graphics card out and connected it again. The monitor then blinks, you can see the desktop for about one second, then the screen goes black, then it shows the desktop for about a second and goes black again and continues like that. I have had my computer for quite some years so i tried with a different graphics card (gtx 750ti) same problem. I also tried with the onboard graphics card and the problem is the same. Sometimes if I reboot my computer 7-8 times, it just works miraculously. What gives and whats the solution? I have tested with both hdmi and dvi-d cables, and I have tested with a different monitor as well.

Reaction score
Made some progress, seems like its the gfx card causing the problems.. If i plug out the dvi-d cable and wait a bit and then connect the cable again, the monitor stops blinking and it works just fine.. what gives?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No idea, but....
It might be worth trying another cable. Sometimes the shielding goes bad or is just not up to the task, bad wire joints at either or both coupling ends (component interface connector), etc.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... you've tried multiple GPUs including the onboard integrated one, you've tried multiple cables with various interface configurations.
What does that leave?? What didn't change when you made those other changes?

Reaction score
What he means is that you have a bad monitor, one the back light for the screen has given out. you can change in your computer whatever you want,nothing will remedy your situation unless you hook up a different monitor.
Process of elimination and deduction. Sherlock Holmes would say: if everything is deduced,what is left,however improbable, must be the culprit....:rolleyes: :D:D ;)

Reaction score
I don't really see why the monitor would be working perfectly all day after unplugging the dvi-d cable and connecting it again.. but im going to try with a different monitor

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good luck.
This type of intermittent problem is very difficult to diagnose.
I don't really see why the monitor would be working perfectly all day after unplugging the dvi-d cable and connecting it again
It could simply be something as simple as a loose solder joint at a pin in the port coupler.
Also some times it takes a while when power / electricity is introduced for minor temperature changes to produce sufficient expansion of a component or tracing to make proper contact and work until cooling causes it to fail again.

Reaction score
I don't really see why the monitor would be working perfectly all day after unplugging the dvi-d cable and connecting it again.. but im going to try with a different monitor
Well, you did not mention anything about the power light. Does the monitor go into standby (change of light)?
Usually when a cable is not inserted properly the monitor shows a message about that. No mentioning of that either. A black screen usually means no back light and they can fail from one minute to the next, I have fixed those thousand times already.....

Ask a Question