SOLVED Flashing screen issue on second monitor

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a brand new Windows 10 machine and I'm dying to start working on it but this flashing screen issue is holding me up.

I have a GTX 1080 video card, I can connect my older 27" monitor via HDMI and there is no problem, but I have a newer 32" monitor and whatever HDMI port it is connected to it will just flash on and off randomly.

I have been over a few youtube videos, and I unchecked some strange permissions as suggested by multiple videos, then I tried another that suggested removing icloud which was not installed. Some weird 'flash for sounds' setting is also already disabled.

I have just installed the latest drivers for this specific graphics card and the result is the same.

The machine has not yet been connected to the internet. It is brand new, a total beast, just waiting to start its journey through life - but maybe it will never be, just gonna sit there, flashing randomly in an amazingly frustrating sea of lights and darkness.

:(

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Welcome to forums Jimmy_Banana

Bare with me for a a while, In order to try help you better, I'll need a few less vague details.

It would be nice to know and please attach to your next reply:

• Exact brand and model for the video card
  • Exact brand and model for both monitors.
  • Video card drivers version
  • Monitor drivers versions (if any)
  • See a capture of the issue using ScreenToGif (see this thread )
Note: use a site like https://postimg.org to host the resulting gif file and post link with your reply.

You could try to reset and force Windows to re-detected / re-enumerate screens, and you could try to use other HDMI ports but lest see the first.

Force Windows to re-detected / re-enumerate screens
  • Unplug the good monitor
  • Plug the problematic monitor
  • Open regedit
Navigate to:
Code:
HKLM\Systems\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
  1. Right click KEY and select Export to make a backup
  2. Give it a name
  3. Save to Desktop
  4. Now Right click Key and Delete it
Navigate to
Code:
HKLM\Systems\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity
  2. Give it a name
  3. Save to Desktop
Now restart Computer for good measure.

Note: The registry keys are recreated, but we keep backups in case you prefer to restore your previous setup or in case something unexpected happens.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Hi Data,
I didn't disappear I was trying to find some way to avoid having to do this:

• Unplug the good monitor
  • Plug the problematic monitor
  • Open regedit
Navigate to:
Code:
HKLM\Systems\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
  2. Give it a name
  3. Save to Desktop
Navigate to
Code:
HKLM\Systems\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity
  2. Give it a name
  3. Save to Desktop

Good luck.

With a flashing monitor that just defines frustration for me, and for a computer I just bought it doesn't seem right to have to do such things. Please don't take that as me not appreciating your help and suggestions, just sounded like a realy bad day to me.

Anyways, I was about to pack up my tower and head to the store who built it for me, and lastly I remembered I must try a different HDMI cable before I go as that was something I hadn't yet tried.

It turns out my problem was a very over priced 5 Meter braided HDMI cable. I tried a spare cable (just a basic cheap one) and whala, my new monitor swung in to action without a hitch. Now I can finally start using my new machine.

Thanks for your help Data, I'll try to pay it forward when I can.

Ask a Question