SOLVED PC doesn't boot - black screen and flashing cursor

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope someone can help - I'll try to keep it short:

PC froze and wouldn't ctrl-alt-del, so I turned it off from the power supply, and when I turned it back on, I get a black screen with flashing cursor just after the BIOS splash and just before the Windows symbol would normally appear. I've used a recovery usb - refresh, automatic repair, and system restore do not work, and I can't continue booting with the usb, can't get to safe mode.

I had a spare SSD, so installed 8.1 on it and used it to boot the PC, then attached the drive that wouldn't boot as a secondary drive. All of my files/programs appear to be there on the faulty drive, but for whatever reason the Windows 10 installed on it will not boot.

I'm sure the easiest option would be to wipe the trouble drive and reinstall Windows, but there are several work programs that would be a pain to go back and reinstall (would have to call in the vendor). Since the drive itself seems to be working, could I create a new partition and reinstall Windows to it, then uninstall the corrupted version? Or any other ideas to get me up and running again?

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Never had that problem but other members on another forum found how to do get over this problem.

(1) If your graphics card is already up to date try updating your BIOS and hopefully it will solve your black screen problem. Hope this helps!

(2) Same problem but when you get to the black screen just tap your power button. Computer will go off then tap your power button again then Walla! Works perfect after that!

As I have put that is how others got over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Since the drive itself seems to be working, could I create a new partition and reinstall Windows to it, then uninstall the corrupted version? Or any other ideas to get me up and running again?

No need to create a new partition.
Just simply reinstall Win 10 over your corrupted one. Activation will be automatic.

Reaction score
You have indicated that you are, with the ssd, able to see your files.
The suggestions my help, but, in the first instance, I would, with care, copy all my personal files, or those you refer to, somewhere safe on the SD. You can then experiment freely.
But, hoping I am wrong, it sounds possible that turning off your computer, may have sprked through the ram or video card..
If this is a stationery, perhaps a look inside would help. Make sure both the ram and the graphics card are seated correctly

Reaction score
Never had that problem but other members on another forum found how to do get over this problem.

(1) If your graphics card is already up to date try updating your BIOS and hopefully it will solve your black screen problem. Hope this helps!

(2) Same problem but when you get to the black screen just tap your power button. Computer will go off then tap your power button again then Walla! Works perfect after that!

As I have put that is how others got over it.

Tried #2 with no luck. I haven't tried #1 yet because I have been able to swap out the drive with an install of W10 with a different drive with W10, and the machine boots just fine. I've interpreted this to mean that the BIOS itself is fine, and it's a hangup with starting the Windows boot. Plus, it's not just a black screen, it's a black screen with a flashing cursor at the top left of the screen - flashes there for about half a second, then the cursor carriage returns down to the next line and flashes there indefinitely (have left if overnight without change)

I built it myself, but am not going to pretend to know more than how to follow directions for the most part, so feel free to correct anything I'm saying.

Reaction score
You have indicated that you are, with the ssd, able to see your files.
The suggestions my help, but, in the first instance, I would, with care, copy all my personal files, or those you refer to, somewhere safe on the SD. You can then experiment freely.
But, hoping I am wrong, it sounds possible that turning off your computer, may have sprked through the ram or video card..
If this is a stationery, perhaps a look inside would help. Make sure both the ram and the graphics card are seated correctly

Yes, I can see the files. I am currently copying a disk image onto a seperate drive (yes, a week too late, I know :( ). It is a desktop, but because the second SSD will boot this machine without trouble, I don't think it's a hardware problem, unless it's with the SSD itself. Regardless, did check and ram and video card are inserted and intact.

Reaction score
No need to create a new partition.
Just simply reinstall Win 10 over your corrupted one. Activation will be automatic.

This won't overwrite the system files and boot files needed to make the programs (that I need to preserve if possible) run?

Reaction score
"s a desktop, but because the second SSD will boot this machine without trouble, I don't think it's a hardware problem, unless it's with the SSD itself"

That makes sense. !

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's possible, that a simple startup repair might help fix the problem drive.
Assuming that there is nothing physically wrong with the drive, maybe just booting from the installation media and choosing "Repair your PC" from the second page and using the advanced troubleshooting options to select Start Up Repair, might help.

Reaction score
Bumping to say that startup repair *did* finally work, and to thank you for your help. Ended up reinstalling over the previous install which erased several of the system files for the programs in wuestion, but ultimately the drive is working again which is great. Will keep an updated drive image backup from here on.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to hear that you were able to resolve your issue.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Always a good idea to have a recent image that you are certain is viable as a strong fall back position in the event of problems.

Ask a Question