SOLVED More 100% Disc Usage!..AARRRG!

Bif

Reaction score
I'm the latest victim of the dreaded Windows 10 - 100% disc usage problem, no matter what I click on after booting up the fan starts up and Task Manager spikes disc usage at 100%.
The WMI Provider Host seems to be the culprit but alas I have NO idea how or if I should disable this. I will rely on the vast knowledge base on this great forum to steer me in the right direction to a possible solution.
I see that I'm far from the only person that is experiencing this problem.

Cheers in advance!

Capture.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you were lucky enough to happen upon the issue during todays updates and if part of the issue might have been an ongoing (in the background) Windows Update.
I count approximately 17 updates on my system (counting my Office Suite install) today.
Now everything seems to be peaceful and has apparently returned to normal.

Bif

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you were lucky enough to happen upon the issue during todays updates and if part of the issue might have been an ongoing (in the background) Windows Update.
I count approximately 17 updates on my system (counting my Office Suite install) today.
Now everything seems to be peaceful and has apparently returned to normal.
Thank you both for the help, alas Trouble you nailed it!...it was the carload of updates that took two reboots to be happy and satisfied.After the reboots all seems fairly normal ( whatever that is!) but it's running as normal as to be expected.Thank you Norton for the link!..I will peruse the article in the morning and try to trim back my busy task manager.
Thanks again folks!
(touching wood until the next updates!)

Bif

Reaction score
Well well well, after pulling virtually every hair out of my head I finally discovered the issue on my specific laptop that was causing the CPU to peg at 100% constantly...it was factory installed bloatware from HP called HP Software Framework which apparently is redundant now on 10 and because of it being native to 7 and 8 didn't play nice with upgrade.
After disabling it, the issues disappeared and with further investigation I uninstalled it all together and the lappy is smiling!
Thought I'd pass this along just in case others experience the same issues.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Much appreciated.
Thanks for sharing your findings.

Reaction score
If it happens again, try using the Resource Monitor to drill down in the exact activity. Using the Disk tab allows you to filter for specific items.

resmon.exe

Ask a Question