Mount ISO in Windows Sandbox

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a way to be able to mount ISO files within Windows 10 Sandbox mode?

I've got some software I want to test out in a "disposable" environment, but it comes as an ISO file. I can open it in other ways, but it would be much easier to mount it naively.

I get a "Sorry, there was a problem mounting the file" error when I try and use the default right click > mount option.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have not tried this, but maybe ( and I stress maybe ) you could access it by creating a wsb configuration file for sandbox.
  • Mount ISO on main system and note the drive letter assigned
  • Then create the configuration file

Example assuming mounted iso is Drive Letter Z

• Code:
    <Configuration>
      <VGpu>Default</VGpu>
      <Networking>Default</Networking>
      <MappedFolders>
        <MappedFolder>
          <HostFolder>Z:\[ some directory in mounted iso you want to access ]</HostFolder>
          <ReadOnly>true</ReadOnly>
        </MappedFolder>
      </MappedFolders>
      <LogonCommand>
        <Command>explorer.exe C:\Users\WDAGUtilityAccount\Desktop\[ some directory in mounted iso you wanted to access ]</Command>
      </LogonCommand>
    </Configuration>

• The Configuration file needs to be saved with .wsb extension and acts as a gateway from your computer to Sandbox

More about this on the following Blog:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...nals/Windows-Sandbox-Config-Files/ba-p/354902

Regedit32

Reaction score
Forgot to explain the idea of sample.

If it works, what it would be doing is using Explorer.exe to mount a directory from your pre-mounted iso, to your Sandbox Desktop

You can also run scripts via Configuration, so perhaps that'd be a work-around too.

The only catch with these work-arounds is its consuming resources your Sandbox probably needs to run smoothly, and in a sense it breaks the whole concept of Sandbox being isolated from the main System.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's an interesting idea... I'm going to try this tomorrow and see if it works! Hadn't occurred to me to mount it within the main system and access it that way. Thanks @Regedit32!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I couldn't get this to work, unfortunately. I just opened the ISO as an archive within the Sandbox for now. Here's the error I got with the .wsb config file:

Code:
---------------------------
Windows Sandbox
Windows Sandbox failed to start.

Error 0x80070057. The parameter is incorrect.

Would you like to submit feedback about this issue?
Yes   No  

I'll take a look at in in more detail at the weekend and see if I can get it working. :).

Regedit32

Reaction score
That's a shame.

I might use Feed back myself to encourage them to make this task simpler.

Reaction score
Not tried, but what if you Opened (mounted) the ISO on the computer and then copied the contents of the mount to the sandbox? Shooting in the dark, as I have never used the sandbox.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not tried, but what if you Opened (mounted) the ISO on the computer and then copied the contents of the mount to the sandbox? Shooting in the dark, as I have never used the sandbox.
Yep, that would work - but it's not as straight forward. Was hoping it could be mounted naively, as the master OS can do it :).

Reaction score
Could the size of the Sandbox space on the drive make any difference? I think I remember seeing a 5 GB partition created.

Otherwise, I am not real clear on what type of interaction a virtual desktop has with the system..

Reaction score
Hello, I found a solution. You need to install an ISO extractor, I took the first one I found on the internet called: PowerISO. After open the software, and extract the files from the .ISO file

I have not tested PowerISO on VirusTotal. but we don't care because it's in the Windows Sandbox

For french people :
Bonjour, j'ai trouvé une solution. Il faut installer un extracteur ISO, j'ai pris le premier trouvé sur internet qui ce nomme : PowerISO. Après ouvrir le logiciel, et extraire les fichiers du fichier .ISO

Je n'ai pas testé PowerISO sur VirusTotal. mais on s'en fiche car c'est dans la Sandbox Windows

Ask a Question