Windows takes an inordinate amount of time to start up/restart/resume from sleep

Discussion in 'Crashes, BSODs and Debugging' started by WinChallenged, Nov 18, 2018.

1. WinChallenged

WinChallenged

HP desktop i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41GHz 16GB RAM Win 10 Home

While this computer has a good amount of RAM, it goes from restart to "severely congested/slow to resume from sleep" fairly quickly (a couple of days). Now I admit that my practice of keeping several workspaces open, each with one or several instances of Opera and Firefox, each of which has multiple tabs (which I find very convenient) uses a lot of this RAM, it is now much worse than it used to be. Aslo the computer normally is used several hours daily

Is this likely caused by a need to defrag? (I have not been doing it because I have had in mind that Win 10 does not need defragging?) But if so, how often should a defrag be done?

Or is it likely my practice described above, or something else? What can I do to gather helpful information on this? Thanks.

WinChallenged, Nov 18, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. WinChallenged

Wolfie

Wolfie, Nov 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. WinChallenged

BigFeet

Going on what Wolfie said, if you have a mechanical hard drive, Windows is set to automatically defrag by default.

BigFeet, Nov 19, 2018
  4. WinChallenged

WinChallenged

Thanks to both.

No SSD, but thinking about getting one.

Most likely just too much stuff open.

WinChallenged, Nov 19, 2018
  5. WinChallenged

BigFeet

May be a bug in how workspaces work. I've really only used workspaces on linux. It just seems too wonky on windows. You have plenty of system.

BigFeet, Nov 19, 2018
  6. WinChallenged

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

Use Resource Monitor and see what's going on.
    WinKey + X and type
    resmon
    hit enter or click OK

USE the CPU, Memory and most of all the Disk tabs to watch the system over a period of time when you are using it as you normally do as described above.
    AND
    It's never a bad idea to manually defrag a spinner. I often do it two or three times with a restart in between each. I've never found the auto defrag to be much more than a cursory lick and promise.
    Just do it when your disk activity is at its' lowest so the utility is not competing for I/Os

Trouble, Nov 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question