SOLVED Move Index Files to Another Drive

Reaction score
I know how I can move the index folder. What I'm not sure of is if I can move the folder without re-indexing the computer again. There's close to 1 million items and it can take forever. In a perfect world I should be able to...
1) Index computer
2) Stop index process
3) Copy C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data over to D:\IndexFiles\Search\Data
4) Possibly edit registry to reflect location as D:\IndexFiles\Search\Data
5) Start index process and it recognizes the previous index files in the new location

Is there a way to make this happen?

Thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi shank, Welcome to the Forum.

The method you described in your post is a little unorthodox to say the least, and likely will result in the issue you are wanting to avoid.

The orthodox method is as follows:
  • Type indexing options into the Cortana search field, then press Enter
  • On the Indexing Options windows that opens, click the Advanced button
  • On the Advanced Options window that opens, click the Select new button
  • Select the location you want to save the Indexing data to, then click OK to apply the changed location

Note: You cannot move Indexing data to removeable media (e.g. a USB pendrive). The location you select needs to be permanent, as Windows indexing is constantly updating things ( faster when you are not actually using the computer ).

Once you've done that any updates to your current index will be applied to the file in its new location, rather than creating a new index in the default location: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Search\Data

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I will try that closer to the weekend. I saw that option, but my fear was that it would trigger another indexing.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Just a side note, I didn't wait and I moved the indexing files to drive D: without issue and without triggering a re-indexing.

Shazam!

Thanks!

Ask a Question