Moving Win10 (Upgrade) to new Win 7 PC

Reaction score
HI

I currently have a PC that was running Win 7 that I upgraded to Win 10 while it was free. That PC is now fit for scrap and I have acquired a new (used) PC that is running Win7

I want to move my Win 10 to the new PC

I have my original Win 7 DVD and key and I have the new PC's Win 7 key. What I don't have is the upgrade files.

I'm worried that even though I got Win 10 upgrade while free, I won't be able to move it to my new PC.

I can happily do a fresh Win 7 install, but how do I upgrade that to Win 10?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Danno72,

Welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately you cannot move a Free Windows 10 Digital License from one PC to another PC.

If you own a Retail version of Windows 10 you can migrate to a new computer, but in your case the Digital License is for the current PC only.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hey Danno72
I have heard one possible way to restore Windows 10 to different computer with backup image. Specifically, create a full backup of your Windows 10 (system backup or disk backup); create a bootable device that used to boot target computer(it's better to use backup & restore software to do this so that you can restore the image with it); place the backup image to a path that the target PC can access to (network, external hard drive etc). These are preparations.
Next boot the PC from the created bootable device. You will enter restore software directly. Then click Restore function to start restoring.
Note: Remember to check Universal Restore option during the restoring process since the target PC may have dissimilar hardware.
You may learn more with snapshots and specific steps in restore Windows 10 backup to dissimilar hardware where I have learned this.
Kind regards

Alesa

Ask a Question