My User is Wiped Out?!

Reaction score
Less than 20 minutes ago, I tried changing my username and it went downhill.Not the PC name -- because that's already changed, but the the whole C:\User\[Name] thing. I'm not a computer expert, but I googled a bit and found a way.

I typed netplwiz in run and then I changed my user name from there. Then it said I should open registry editor and change my name through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList. I looked for the certain file that contains my current username and changed it into the desired one. Once I did that, the start menu refused to open and said I must log out in an attempt to fix it.

I ignored the message and right-clicked on the start menu and chose restart. Once I restarted, it gave me a message "Preparing Windows" after I typed in my password to log in. It took a couple of minutes, but then everything was wiped out. There's a program like Steam I installed which is still running, so I assume my files are there but in a different user.

Now when I go to This PC --> Windows10_OS (C:) --> Users it shows two folders. One for my old username, and a new one for my current username.

I have no idea what to do. I have so many important files that I don't want to lose!

Reaction score
Did you look under user/old name to see if the files were still there? I think they should be.

If you wanted a new user name why not just add a new user and then copy the files instead of playing with the registry. KISS principle.

Ask a Question