System detiorated one user at a time

Reaction score
This is an ongoing problem that steadily got worse. I managed it for a bit and was in the process of backing up my files when things got a lot worse. I am or was the admin of my computer. Here's the chronology.

The system booted up normally to the log in screen. When I (as admin) logged on, my screen would go blank. I couldn't do a thing. Two other accounts worked normally. I was able to create additional Admin accounts by logging in from a User account, but each of them acted the same way. I was able to transfer my pictures and music to my User account and started backing them up. In the mean time I purchased another PC and am happy with it. I set up my old PC elsewhere which still worked under my wife's account. I was trying to set it up for her to use when I found some additional files to back up. It was a lot of data so I was doing it piecemeal. I then got busy with some other matters and put it in sleep mode till I could get back to it. When I woke it up the screen went blank. Two things happened when I booted the computer the next day. Windows went straight to her desktop without having to log in, but the desktop had changed since I last used it. There were no desktop items, folders, files or shortcuts. It also took about 10 minutes to display all the Taskbar items. I right clicked on a few and was clicked on several recent files, which opened, but did not display on screen. I could tell they were open by hovering over the taskbar shortcut. I could see the preview, but could not get the files to display. I must have opened up a dozen files, but no luck. The Windows button did work, but that was it. Using that I was able to shut down the system normally. Windows then went through a time consuming update that took hours. I just went to bed hoping for better results in the morning. That was yesterday.
When I started it up this morning, the screen displayed its normal start up graphics. When it finished I was left with a black screen that would only show my mouse pointer. I'm afraid it is dead, but I'd like to salvage it somehow, at least to finish uploading my pictures and music. Sorry to be so wordy. I've never seen a PC act this way.

I'm hoping you can help, but I'm prepared for the worst. I'd be glad to answer any questions if you got 'em. I'm not sure I can provide any specs other than it was a seven year old HP desktop running Windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
It sounds to me like the hard disk in the problem computer has been failing over time, resulting it some serious data corruption, and.....
May be beyond recovery.

My suggestion would be to remove it from the problem computer and replace it with a new one and install an OS onto the new drive.
In the mean time you can attach the problem drive to another computer and see if you might have some luck accessing the files you would still like to recover, using that technique.

Reaction score
I suspected as much, I'll try pulling the hard drive and see if that works.

How would I go about installing Windows on a new hard drive?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score

Ask a Question