Need Admin Account to access

Reaction score
How can I set up an admin account not done with setup? When I try to access the UAC settings, the box does not allow me to choose "yes". It is grayed and only No is available.

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. I set up another account to be named Administrator Windows wouldn't let me use the name Administrator, I believe it said that account name is already used,(hidden Admin?) so I named the newly created account "PC Administrator" then changed my local Admin account to local user.

I don't know if I went the about it the right (I'm sure someone here will let me know LOL) way but it works for me with no problems. I run my PC on a daily basis as a local user. All backups,imaging and maintenance I perform from the PC Administrators account.

Reaction score
I can't even get to the point where I can add a new account without the UAC promt asking for permission to change computer's settings! Frustrating. I am seriously thinking of reverting to Windows 7. I've spent all day with this blasted problem! Thank you. I did try what worked for you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might be able to rescue your computer by enabling the normally hidden / disabled Administrator account and use that to possibly fix the password problem on your local user account.
You'll need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
THEN...
Follow the steps outlined here
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/

Another option that I have used successfully is a third party software boot disk.
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
NOTE.... IF the computer is UEFI with "Secure boot" enabled, I don't believe you will be able to boot from the CD you create from the ISO (Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD, the pogostick link immediately above) unless you enter the System Setup Utility (BIOS) and turn off Secure Boot and change the boot option from UEFI to Legacy or UEFI + Legacy or UEFI + MBR depending on what's avaialble and how robust your BIOS might be (if it even supports changing turning off secure boot, some newer ones do not.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone but it was just too stressful and time consuming so I reverted back to Windows 7 for now. I appreciate the prompt and generous suggestions.

Reaction score
Need Admin Account to access , sorry but i thought i bought and paid for my computer but yet i have to change admin rights ? not on , windows 10 is a load of crap and how dare windows stop us from having what we want on our computers .

Reaction score
I am not familiar with your complaint? What do you want to have on your computer which is prohibited?

I don't doubt you paid for your computer, but, as always back to the earliest MS OSs, you have only paid for the rights to use it.

Ask a Question