Need Help Getting stuff back

Reaction score
After a few weeks of Win10 use, I got the message that Windows 10 startup had failed and needed a re-install. I chose the option to keep my files and favorites.

Windows 10 re-installed but many things are missing. Some examples are Microsoft Office, Chrome (my old main browser), All my favorites, the notes application and all the information contained there (everything from book lists to logs of contacts).

Any help would be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you checked for a Windows.OLD folder in the root of C:\

Reaction score
I checked and found a windows old folder and there is a list of favorites there.

Now if I could find the dozens of programs that I used before Windows 10. Microsoft Office, Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop, etc. I don't even have a list of what I used to have.

Reaction score
Other then checking my email, I have gotten zero work done since Windows 10 wiped out my programs. If no one has any suggestions, I will start trying to re-build my computer from scratch. I really hate to do this, but if no one has any other suggestion, I will begin.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't even have a list of what I used to have.
The Windows.OLD folder might contain a Programs Files and or Program Files (x86) folder which should give you an idea as to what might have been there.
I will start trying to re-build my computer from scratch
There is no reason why you should "rebuild from scratch" usually simply re-installing the programs should get you over the hump.

Typically, an upgrade (if you chose to keep everything) should not have caused this issue. Unless the versions of the programs that are missing were in someway incompatible with Windows 10

Reaction score
The Windows.OLD folder might contain a Programs Files and or Program Files (x86) folder which should give you an idea as to what might have been there.

There is no reason why you should "rebuild from scratch" usually simply re-installing the programs should get you over the hump.

Typically, an upgrade (if you chose to keep everything) should not have caused this issue. Unless the versions of the programs that are missing were in someway incompatible with Windows 10

In the good old days when programs came with manuals and cd's/dvd's reloading would not be such a big deal. Today without those tools, it is not so easy.

Also, I guess I did not make this entirely clear, the act of upgrading did not remove my programs and favorites. I used Win10 for a couple of weeks before I got the message that Windows Startup had failed and I needed to re-install. I ok'd that and then lost everything.

Reaction score
Re installing programs is quite simple to do. You shouldn't need a manual to install photoshop and office. I do it dozens of times a month. Just insert whatever medium they are on, and double click the exe file (a cd/dvd may or may not auto run the install)

There probably isn't any saving the programs at this point. Once you re installed Windows, for some reason, they were overwritten.

Reaction score
BigFeet, saying my issue does not seem like much of a problem for you is just rude and unhelpful.

My issue is that my programs should never have been deleted. Replacing them seems pretty impossible because many of the programs did not come with media, such as my Photoshop add-ons that were downloaded from various artists sites over several years.

Ask a Question