Need Help with computer problems

Reaction score
Hi people,my computer has not been working well recently and I cannot identify its problem through google searches. Hopefully some people here will be able to help

Computer
Alienware x51, about 3 years old

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40Ghz 3.40GHz

Installed memory(RAM): 8.00GB (7.90GB usable)

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64 based processor

Whats happening
1. Slamming the table causes screen to freeze and monitor turns off. Sometimes when I just try to turn it on this happens after i get past the loading screen. Sometimes the computer restarts on its own.

2. Freezes and monitor shuts off when running games. Usually happens within around first 10 minutes of running the games. Sometimes it will restart on its own. If it does not crash during the first ten minutes of playing, it usually will run without problems for the rest of the time the computer is on.

3. When i open task manager i usually see that disk is at 100%, even before i run the games.

4. Severe ping lag when playing games (i have good internet)

I do not know much about computer stuff so specific instructions on how to fix my comp will be great for those who are willing to help. Thanks in advance

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sounds to me like it might need a bit of TLC.
You might need to take a look inside, and see if it need a good blowing out with a source of compressed air.
Also check and confirm that any and all cooling fans are operating as expected.
Check for loose connection of any and all cables at both ends (internal and then external when you're done inside.
Reseat internal components, memory modules and any add-in cards (if any), you might even want to make sure that the CPU's heatsink is making good contact, wiping and renewing the thermal paste compound while you're at it.
IF you don't feel that you have the necessary, prerequisite skills, you might consider taking it to a local shop and have them go through it.

The results of striking the table would suggest a poor connection somewhere.
A poor connection can produce added resistance and consequently extra heat and reliability and performance is impacted and may result in any number of erratic symptoms, maybe even resulting in component failure.

Ask a Question