Need to activate USB port when logging in

Reaction score
If I persevere in pressing F11 when the computer is booting, I will end up with 2 choices: 1: from the hard disk or 2: from the USB port. I chose the USB and it works but doing it this way is a nuisance. In the past I was able to add the USB and each time the computer logged on it cycled past the USB and if there was nothing there, it would move on to the hard disk and boot the computer. That is what I would like have happen on my computer now.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The setting is usually defined in the system BIOS default boot order.
Generally by setting the boot device priority.
In newer systems it is not always as general as it has been in the past.
The particular USB "device" may have to be select with some specificity and as a result it's possible that another random (although bootable) USB device may be ignored.

Reaction score
You've said it so well, I want to set the Bios boot order so that it boots from a USB stick.

Reaction score
You can do an emergency boot from USB, for example, a Windows install USB drive boots and Macrium reflex restore can do that. But I don't think W10 can be installed on a USB stick. Is that the problem I wonder? That you want to actually run from a USB stick?

But just to boot then Trouble has said it all.

Reaction score
The laptop I am using does not have a disc drive. So I need to be able boot from the USB so that I can add Linux (Kubuntu) to my system.

Reaction score
If wanting to dual-boot Linux with an already-installed Windows might try downloading the .iso file using MCT then in File Explorer right-click the file and Mount to run the setup. It may work better if the .iso file resided on a separate partition and also install Linux in its own partition. If wanting a USB Boot drive for Linux one can download and create the LiveDVD on a different computer, boot to it and there is a Disk Image Writer feature to create that USB drive [I keep such a Linux Mint drive with me on house calls, found a green 16GB Verbatim drive for the use].

Ask a Question