Network Adapter missing after autometic windows 10 update

Reaction score
I think we have found the solution for the most of us:

There is a problem with VPN client out of updated, when you update to Windows 10.

Some of you have VPN client intalled?

If is your case, in this link and just 2 commands your problem will be resolved, like the mine was!!

Here is the link for the solution:

http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-no-wi-fi-available-after-windows-10-upgrade-issue-heres-how/
I tried this but it didn't find the entries in the registry. However, I found some entries with VPN and avast in my registry. I did an internet search for avast an Windows 10 issues and found that others had the same problems described here because avast was incompatible with Windows 10. However, I don't have avast on my computer. I have Kapersky. So, I searched Kapersky and Windows 10 issues and found that Kapersky issued a software update that was recommended for users to install before upgrading to Windows 10. I downloaded the update and installed it on my computer with missing WIFI, rebooted, and the issues was fixed. I've been trying to fix this for about 6 weeks and the whole time the problem was because of incompatibility between the antivirus software and Windows 10.
I hadn't thought this was an issue because I was running Windows 10 with Kaspersky for 2 months without any problem, then on October 5, WIFI went out. I'm thinking some Windows 10 update at that time is what caused the problem.

So, in summary, the solution was to update the anti-virus software.

Reaction score
Hi,
I upgraded 1 month ago - Win10 has been working fine, but today I have no Wireless adapter. The CLSID workaround won't do as it doesn't even exist, but I recall yesterday that Avast had an update that required a restart. After the update, I just turned the pc off and today there's no Wi-Fi and not even a Wi-Fi-adapter available, and device manager reports no problems detected!
When running a network troubleshoot, all I get is an advice to connect with an ethernet cable!
And yes, maybe I should just go out and buy a router...
It seems likely that it's the anti-virus update that has caused the problem.
Next thing I did was to deactivate avast and reload an older image of the system.
However, that didn't work either! :-/
Strangely, my pc doesn't show the Wi-Fi- adapter at all.
I have also upgraded my laptop to Win10 - also here I use Avast, but without having made the upgrade, and I will avoid that 'cause that still works, but upgrading the anti-virus program doesn't sound good to me!
So, Billy Bob, and others - what should I try next?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Finally managed to resolve it :)
I removed Avast, I then returned to an older build. That didn't do it, so I tried deleting the Wireless Network Adapter in the Device Manager - it was there, just hidden but not showing any malfunctions; however; after a restart the wireless icon was back! All I needed was to log in and then update the driver.
Now it works, again!
It's hard to say what caused the Network Adapter to disappear in the first place. Was it avast!, or was it actually a Windows update?? I must say, I'm not confident about Win10 - too many things have been hard work after the upgrade, and that has only showed after the first month, so there's no going back!

Reaction score
Good to hear. I ditched Avast about a year ago, as it has become buggy, and had way too many instances of false positive detection. I've fallen in love with Bitdefender's free anti virus. It has a very small footprint, and works in the background. You hardly know it's there.

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here and thought that your solutions would work for me, but they haven't. :( I don't have VPN or Avast or Kaspersky. I use Bitdefender and I couldn't see that they had any issues with Windows 10. I also had tried what jesprlarzen had tried, and it seemed to work for about 2 mins, but then I lost connection again.

Maybe my issue is different, my wireless (Broadcom 802.11n) constantly drops me since an auto update a few days ago. Right now I'm using Ethernet so I can research the Net. Everyone else in my family is running fine! Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi again, I think I might have actually figured it out. I looked within Bitdefender itself and there was a suggestion for those who might have lost Internet connection after a Windows 10 update. They had me change the firewall settings within Bitdefender and then restart. It seems to be working for now! Thanks for the posts about the problems with Internet security!

Reaction score
I fixed it. There was no Antivirus on the system. I booted to the Windows 10 login and selected reboot. I held down the F12 key during reboot and the problem corrected itself ( I'm not sure if holding down the F12 key helped the problem or not). WEIRD.

Afterward, I downloaded and installed the latest Realtek Windows 10 driver from Acer for good measure.

Ask a Question