SOLVED New computer with Win10 has no Wifi option

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I'm setting up my new PC that came with Win 10. I already have another computer that is connected to Ethernet, so I need to connect the new computer with Wifi. My problem is that there is no option in settings for Wifi. I have installed my wireless adapter USB, but it has nothing to connect to. Am I missing something?

Reaction score
What model is the wireless adapter? You may want to check the manufactures website to see if there are updated Windows 10 driver.

Reaction score
If it's a portable make sure the wireless radio broadcasting is turned on. Notebooks/netbooks has key sequences (if not designated buttons) to toggle the radio on and off.

Reaction score
You are saying your new computer does not have built-in WiFi?

Open the connections control panel and check the status of any Network Adapters. Type ncpa.cpl in a run box and enter. Let us know what is shows or use the snipping tool to take a picture of the window and attach.

Reaction score
He says the computer is a PC so I assume it's not a laptop. He also says he has installed a USB wifi adapter. He needs to find a compatible Win 10 driver for the wifi adapter and install it.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I will look into installing a Win 10 driver for the adapter. This is my first new computer since 2007 and it had Win Vista, so I have a lot to learn.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My problem is that there is no option in settings for Wifi. I have installed my wireless adapter USB, but it has nothing to connect to. Am I missing something?
What does device manager have to say about your USB wireless adapter?

Reaction score
He says the computer is a PC so I assume it's not a laptop. He also says he has installed a USB wifi adapter. He needs to find a compatible Win 10 driver for the wifi adapter and install it.
A laptop is a PC and installing usually refers to installing software or drivers. So if you are going to assume. You should assume they have already installed their WiFi adapter driver regardless of whether it is integrated or not. This way you are at least trying to ride the computer literacy highway. Trust me it is a constant battle while participating in help forums.

Reaction score
A laptop is a PC and installing usually refers to installing software or drivers. So if you are going to assume. You should assume they have already installed their WiFi adapter driver regardless of whether it is integrated or not. This way you are at least trying to ride the computer literacy highway. Trust me it is a constant battle while participating in help forums.

Step off your high horse for a minute. I have built and repaired computers for over 10 years now. There is a difference between a PC and a laptop in terminology. You might not think so but there is. And I never assume anything in help forums. That's why I ask. Come to find out the OP did not install the driver. He/she is looking for one as of the last post.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Semantics and all those I'm a MAC and I'm a PC commercials from a few years ago not withstanding, I suppose in the broadest sense of the term even my Windows 10 Phone might be considered a PC, it's certainly a computer although I rarely think of it as such, even though it has much more power, features, functions and general capability than my first Packard Bell Windows 3.1 computer.
I'll stay out of any ensuing discussions, but....
I hope the OP got right with device manager and was successful in finding and installing the appropriate driver for his specific hardware device regardless of what computer he had his wireless USB adapter plugged into.
AND
When we argue amongst ourselves .... the terrorists win :)

Reaction score
Wrong again there big guy.
http://techterms.com/definition/pc
Seriously that was the first site I went to. It took all of 10 seconds. The definition says the same damned thing I'm saying.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PC.html
This link excludes Macs but technically that is incorrect, because the term is PC not IBMPC. Even with this definition you can't exclude Notebooks from the term PC.

Hell the only reason I even commented to your first post was the arrogance in your assumptions. Even though your gamble was right is irrelevant to the point I tried making. That is as if you were trying to correct previous commenters, using computer illiterate terminology. If we are going to help others we need to stick to using the same terminology. That way this confusion doesn't happen in the middle of someone Else's help thread.

As for you being done with the topic, maybe you ought to be if you are not willing to learn terminology.

Reaction score
Autzie. When you have installed the software that came with your WiFi adapter OR you can just plug in the adapter and most likely *** Windows will beep and tell you it has found new hardware and it is installing it You should then see a network (or more than one) when you left click on the network icon at the bottom right on the task bar. If you do see your network ** then try to connect. You'll need to know the passphrase and the security protocol in use. If your router is reasonably close and it newish ( certainly post 2007!) you could connect with WPS...you'll see a button on your WifI adapter and one on the router.

*** Windows contains a zillion adapter drivers and if it is a name brand adapter Windows will probably install it with no fuss.

** I am presuming you do have a WiFi system up? If not that is a different set of questions.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am presuming you do have a WiFi system up? If not that is a different set of questions.
:) Yep, I'd say that having your wireless router, or at least somebody's wireless router in range of the adapter would definitely be a requirement. :)

Reaction score
Indeed. You mean there are some places on the planet that DONT have 1..n wifi sources within range? I don't believe it!

This machine of Autzie's is probably a desktop and I think if the adapter is alive you would see a different display from the one he showed.

Autzie: Do you have the option of using ethernet temporarily ? All desktops made in the last 10 years have ethernet built in

Ask a Question