New Windows 10 HASSLE FREE Installation, Ho! Ho! Ho!

Reaction score
After many , many Years with a Computer and Purchasing many Products from Microsoft, such as Microsoft Train Simulator and Addon Route Packs And Loco Packs all Microsoft Fllght Simlators since FS 98 up to FSX plus all the Scenery Packs and Aircraft Add on packs which as Microsoft Have progressed they have left behind in the rubbish bin.
They are now offering Windows 10 for FREE.
I have been trying for over a week now to Install Windows 10 over my Windows 7 service pack 1 64 Bit OS.
Can anybody Please suggest one of the Downloads Available that actually works without Hanging up when it gets to the Getting updates /Checking for updates Page.
Many thanks
Paul.

Reaction score
Are you on a wired connection or WiFi.? Wired generally works better in that situation as Windows may not have any generic wifi device driver for your machine until it has done those updates...which it can't do.
Another thing which has caused problems is an aftermarket antivirus installed.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Next questions: Is this a PC a laptop or tower? If a tower, is it a OEM branded PC? I'm asking this; because some vendors OEM PC's are not able to use the OS upgrade. This is due to the hardware that the PC is using. Even though you have a qualifying OS to upgrade from....doesn't mean that this particular PC is or can be have the OS upgraded.

Reaction score
Are you on a wired connection or WiFi.? Wired generally works better in that situation as Windows may not have any generic wifi device driver for your machine until it has done those updates...which it can't do.
Another thing which has caused problems is an aftermarket antivirus installed.

Hi, thanks for replies.

I have a Packard Bell Laptop and have to use a Wireless WiFi Connection due to the position of my BT Hub and being Conected to my main Computer in another room. WiFFi has always worked fine without any problems.

Reaction score
Your laptop does wifi with Windows 7 and the wifi device driver in there. That is absolutely no guarantee that a) a Windows 10 driver is embedded in the W10 you are using or b) that there is a W10 driver for that device. Once you get it up it may be that running the current driver in compatibility mode will work.

If you can move the laptop temporarily and get it to come up wired you will then be able to discover if there is a W10 wifi driver. What device is it anyway? Intel?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can anybody Please suggest one of the Downloads Available that actually works without Hanging up when it gets to the Getting updates /Checking for updates Page
The first thing that I would suggest that in addition to a file backup you might want to consider performing a disk image.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
As far as your actual question.....
If you have local installation media which you have created on optical media or on a USB ThumbDrive, then very early in the upgrade process (setup.exe) you should see a check box with adjacent text that says something like....
"Get updates" or "include available updates in the upgrade" or words similar (it's been a while since I've actually seen the wording) but you should be able to uncheck that box or choose a link that says "not now" to avoid the need to be connected to the internet at all during the upgrade process at all.

EDIT: I would also suggest that wherever possible you disconnect any and all peripherals.
Any USB dongles that support wireless keyboards and mice (use a wired substitute), as well as wireless networking dongles, even USB printers.
AND
Uninstall any third party security suites, such as Norton, McAfee, AVG, Comodo, Avast, Avira, etc., etc.

Reaction score
Your laptop does wifi with Windows 7 and the wifi device driver in there. That is absolutely no guarantee that a) a Windows 10 driver is embedded in the W10 you are using or b) that there is a W10 driver for that device. Once you get it up it may be that running the current driver in compatibility mode will work.

If you can move the laptop temporarily and get it to come up wired you will then be able to discover if there is a W10 wifi driver. What device is it anyway? Intel?

Appologies Tim, forgot to mention main Computer is also Wireless but currently not working, awaiting new Motherboard. I am using a Belkin Wireless Dongle/Adapter in both Computer and Laptop and as previously said have had no Problems with either Computer or Laptop.

Am Currently using Windows Firewall Anti Virus but there does.nt seem to be a way to Dissable it.

Many thanks for help.

Regards

Paul.

Ask a Question