No Big Deal Here.

Reaction score
Let's be honest, Win10 Tech Preview is basically a non-touch optimized hack of Windows 8.1 with the new start menu and virtual desktops tacked on. It really isn't much more, and even says it's Windows 8.1 Pro if you care to look.
It's been released to appease the Windows 8 haters, and to try and get the enterprise somewhat interested in what might be coming along next year. It's not for consumers, or IT pro's, it's just MS trying to guage public opinion at this early stage so they know if they're on the right track or not with corporates - who are, let's face it, MS's bread and butter. If they don't like what they see, you can be sure MS will change it to fit.
This version of Windows cannot afford to fail, and MS knows it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Let's be honest
OK, I'll be honest.
I agree with your basic premise, that Windows 10 is actually Windows 8 part deux.
And I've pretty much said as much several times, Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been initially.
I'm not sure that it necessarily follows that there is some huge, over-riding, "Enterprise" considerations at work and that any such thing might or will result in a total re-vamp of Windows 10 just to satisfy those concerns.
I think it is, what it is, and likely for the most part, what it will be.

As far as Microsoft's enterprise bread and butter.....
Those folks already have the means and where-with-all to lock down their workstations as they see fit. You work for one of those businesses, you get the desktop they want you to have and the two or three mission critical applications they want you to work in and that's pretty much it.
You want to surf and facebook, you go home and do it.

Reaction score
As I see it. Laugh if you will.

Some months ago, we got windows 8.1. Shortly after, the stories were rife. 8.2 was coming. It had (rumoured) a newly designed start menu. I had a way to cut out the Charms and the Metro screen.
Shortly before the rumoured release date, Microsoft announced the grand new plan. They confirmed there was no 8.2, but, from then, we would be given regular updates. The first was called the "August" update.
The moaners were still there, on their soapboxes, putting down a fine OS (Windows 8.1). Meanwhile, around the table, Microsoft were plotting. How to convince users that Windows 8 was great. They had, by then, contrived a cunning scheme. It was originally called Windows 8.2. It had been redesigned with a start menu etc.
Hey! Lets call it Windows 10 and see how they react..

Reaction score
I'll be honest as well. I really could not care less about their reasons for making changes to what was Windows 8. I am simply glad that they are making them. They got so many things right with 8, and then hid it all beneath an atrocious user interface. It was completely unusable to me. My first experiences with the 10 Preview have been positive.

Reaction score
One could also say that Windows 7 was just a better version of Vista and so forth........

Reaction score
It seems that we had XP then ME....I don't know what, if anything happened with ME
Then Vista Came along - NOT POPULAR
Windows 7 - A fix for Vista (probably just a cut down version for leaner and meaner
The Windows 8..8.1...came along NOT Popular
Windows 10 - a fix for Windows 8 (by throwing pieces of Win 7 and 8, quickly, into a fix.

Do we see a trend?

Ask a Question