SOLVED No font change when forum posts viewed

Reaction score
The title fonts remain unchanged, after reading messages on this site. That makes it difficult to know which messages have previously been read. Please fix.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi @jimjek, all unread threads should be bold compared to threads that have been read. Also, there should be a little blue unread marker dot that appears next to unread threads. Can you confirm if these appear ok for you?

Here's an example of what I see (the first thread is unread):

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Aha. I never pay attention to the blue dot.

By the way, I kind of think jimjek was referring to the main page under the heading Windows 10 Forums.............. General Discussions, Windows 10 News, Windows 10 Support etc etc.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah yes, on the main forum page that is the case. I think I made it all bold for stylistic reasons on the main page, as it's unlikely that people will read every post in each forum. If this feature is missed by members, I may be able to add a user selectable option to change how this works?

Reaction score
If this feature is missed by members, I may be able to add a user selectable option to change how this works?

That may be a good idea.
I did quite a few times open a thread only to find out I had already read it or participated in it.

That said, may be majority of members find it unnecessary.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll see what I can do :). I've got a few items on my coding/todo list for the site and I'll get started on it toward the end of the month when my workload quietens down.

Reaction score
That's not the problem. For example, if I click on General Discussions and then select one of the posts, that post still is bold and has the blue dot when I return to the General Discussions page. However, if I close out of the site and then return, that message does show as read. It would be much easier, though, if messages showed as read as soon as they're opened.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Perhaps in that particular instance it may just be a browser refresh issue.
Try F5 or Ctrl + F5 and see if the status change is reflected.

Reaction score
Browser refresh does change the status so the link shows as read. What needs to be changed so that the status changes automatically?

Reaction score
And when I checked IE 11.0 custom security settings, "Allow meta refresh" was already enabled.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like your browser is caching the page and returning you to it. Are you clicking "back" or navigating back to the parent forum section by clicking on it in the navbar?

From what I understand, just clicking back (or hitting backspace) will often return you to a cached copy of the page you were just viewing (i.e. old read data), but browsing back to that page via the navbar or other means will show up-to-date data.

This isn't really something we can change from our end, as the site serves the correct data it's just that the browser isn't requesting it in this instance. Which browser are you using?

Reaction score
You're right. I've been hitting the IE 11.0 Back arrow, and that doesn't refresh. Clicking the General Discussions button does refresh the page. However, I do use the Back arrow in other forums, and the page always properly refreshes. That is why I still think this is site-related. But, since you proposed an alternate browsing method that works, it's no big deal - more of a curiosity at this point. Thank you for your help!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll do some reading on this, as if it works on other forums then there must be a way to get it working here :).

Reaction score
Just a suggestion ..............
You have this little eyeglass icon
watched.jpg
How about use it on the Main Page as well ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think if we duplicated the eyeglasses icon it may get people confused with the "watched threads" functionality where it also appears. I'm working on adding the blue dots to the forum name if possible, as it's discrete but there if a member wants to know if it's unread :).

Ask a Question