No sound and can't remove pin#

Reaction score
My sound disappeared after clicking a link. Google says "probably a corrupted registry file". How do I find and remove corrupted file? (I'm new at computers and senior citizen) I have Windows defender, Malwarebytes and Superanti spyware. All show no infection.

I want to remove pin on sign in (have tried every solution on youtube (when I had sound). None work.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It may very well be a driver issue, so there are some basic things you can try here.....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

You don't mention what type of system you are having trouble with but if it is a laptop, your best bet would be to access the manufacturer's support website and drill down to your specific machine and see what they have in the way of a driver that might support Windows 10.
That's probably a good place to start, regardless of the system but if you provide some specific details as to the manufactuer name, model name, model number, part number if available, someone might have some more specific suggestions as to how you might proceed.

Reaction score
Jan, I hope that Trouble was able to solve your problem. If his solution didn´t work, try this:

It is easy in Windows 10 to correct a corrupted file. Right click an empty spot on your task bar, and select Task Manager. In the top left corner, click on File. When it opens, click on Run New Task. In the box that appears, type the word powershell exactly as I have typed it. Also, check the box that gives you Administrative Privileges. Then click Okay.

PowerShell will now appear. Cut and paste sfc /scannow exactly the way I have it into the command line, and hit Enter. It will take about twenty minutes to scan and repair your files.

Reaction score
It may very well be a driver issue, so there are some basic things you can try here.....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

You don't mention what type of system you are having trouble with but if it is a laptop, your best bet would be to access the manufacturer's support website and drill down to your specific machine and see what they have in the way of a driver that might support Windows 10.
That's probably a good place to start, regardless of the system but if you provide some specific details as to the manufactuer name, model name, model number, part number if available, someone might have some more specific suggestions as to how you might proceed.
I have a Toshiba laptop....Thank you for your response. It may have been a driver....but before I could proceed, the sound just came back after a several weeks! ???? (I think it was answered prayer!!!)

Reaction score
Jan, I hope that Trouble was able to solve your problem. If his solution didn´t work, try this:

It is easy in Windows 10 to correct a corrupted file. Right click an empty spot on your task bar, and select Task Manager. In the top left corner, click on File. When it opens, click on Run New Task. In the box that appears, type the word powershell exactly as I have typed it. Also, check the box that gives you Administrative Privileges. Then click Okay.

PowerShell will now appear. Cut and paste sfc /scannow exactly the way I have it into the command line, and hit Enter. It will take about twenty minutes to scan and repair your files.

Reaction score
Thank you Vince! My sound came back (answered prayer!) after a week and a half without me doing anything else.
But I've copied your response for future use and really appreciate you!

Ask a Question