Not restarting or just plain starting after shutdown.

Reaction score
I just installed a fresh copy of windows 10 on a completely new computer. When I hit restart or shut down the computer and then turn it back on it tells me windows did not restart correctly and the only option I then have is either system restore or another option I can't recall what it's titled as. The continue to windows 10 button again takes me to the same message. Do I need to completely reinstall windows again? I am getting tired of reinstalling my antivirus time and again, thanks for any help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Bob and welcome to the forum.
The first thing I would do is stop
reinstalling my antivirus time and again
Until your problem is resolved.
Then I would check with the PC Manufacturer and or the motherboard manufacturer and make sure that I had all the latest drivers including BIOS, Chipset, Storage Controllers, Video, Sound, Network, etc. for all of your installed hardware devices.
Then I would double check all my advance Power Plan settings and make sure that everything was configured properly regarding Shutdown and Sleep, especially anything regarding hibernation or hybrid sleep.

Reaction score
Hello Bob and welcome to the forum.
The first thing I would do is stop

Until your problem is resolved.
Then I would check with the PC Manufacturer and or the motherboard manufacturer and make sure that I had all the latest drivers including BIOS, Chipset, Storage Controllers, Video, Sound, Network, etc. for all of your installed hardware devices.
Then I would double check all my advance Power Plan settings and make sure that everything was configured properly regarding Shutdown and Sleep, especially anything regarding hibernation or hybrid sleep.
I think the problem is solved. A friend with a LOT of computer experience suggested disconnecting the power (unplugging it). I did this after shutting down and waited five mins after which it started up no problem. I left it for a few hours and then he suggested trying restarting a few more times, which it did three times in a row without issue.
Also the first restart I did it downloaded an update of some sort for windows so maybe this combination somehow reset whatever it was.

Reaction score
I just installed a fresh copy of windows 10 on a completely new computer. When I hit restart or shut down the computer and then turn it back on it tells me windows did not restart correctly and the only option I then have is either system restore or another option I can't recall what it's titled as. The continue to windows 10 button again takes me to the same message. Do I need to completely reinstall windows again? I am getting tired of reinstalling my antivirus time and again, thanks for any help.

Ask a Question