Nothing works (ms-settings:personalization-background)

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been having problems with my laptop for a few weeks and it's driving me mental.

Currently, whenever I start my laptop up I'll have about 5-10 minutes of "normal" operation. After this time things become much more difficult.

First, the power-bar becomes VERY selective in what it responds to. The calculator button won't respond. Any of the small icons on the far right will not respond completely (this will become very important later on) and the windows icon won't respond so I can't open up the start bar, and the "search the web and windows" tab is completely unresponsive - clicking on it results in nothing, I can't type anything into it.

If I try to right click the background and click "Personalise" then I get an error message:

ms-settings: personalization-background

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel."

Right now I'm using my work computer and I googled this problem and got a forum post saying to download some type of troubleshooter "CSSEmerging" or something like that. I used a USB to transfer it over to my laptop and ran it, but it detected no problems so it couldn't do anything.

Yes, I said transfer via a usb, because guess what, the internet doesn't work.

I work in a laboratory so every now and then I have to update my authentication details in the wireless section. Remember how I said the icons on the bottom right of the action bar are only semi-responsive? The little Wireless symbol is greyed out with an *, meaning its trying to connect, it's "authenticating", but because nothing happens when I click on it I can't enter in any authentication details so it's stuck permanently in "authenticating". So now my laptop is barred from the internet.

So I used my work computer to try downloading one of the Cumulative updates that was suggested in a troubleshoot thread. But I can't do that because I use Chrome. So I tried using Internet Explorer to do it but I received "Website not available" error message. Then Windows Catalogue wanted me to install an add-on to use it properly, but I'm on a work computer so I can't install anything without administrator permission (which I don't have). So that way is borked as well.

I'm at my wits end here, I've essentially got an expensive paper weight. It now can't connect to the internet not because the wireless is rogered but because I simply can't click the icon to enter in details. I can't click on the start button, the action bar is only semi-responsive, I can't change personal display settings - nothing. If I want to browse files I can't click start bar or run a quick search, I have to open up a file on my desktop and then use it as a browser to explore the rest of the laptops files. Yet despite this I can still do things like open word and type up documents etc.

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

Did your laptop come with Windows 10 pre-installed, or did you upgrade to Windows 10?

If you upgraded, when precisely did you do that?

You mentioned:

Right now I'm using my work computer and I googled this problem and got a forum post saying to download some type of troubleshooter "CSSEmerging" or something like that.

In August 2015 Microsoft released a special update to replace KB3074683 which it emerged was causing significant troubles for several users. There's an thread on this forum where many users discovered:
  1. Installing Microsoft's Update KB3081424 to replace KB3074683, then:
  2. Downloading and Running a CAB file Microsoft released at the time named CSSEmerg67758.diagcab
The users discovered doing this resolved an issue with ms-settings

Given the time that has passed since that emerging issue first appeared I am not so sure doing those two steps will make much difference now, but I suppose there is no harm trying:

I'd recommend you check your Windows update history first though as you may all ready have KB3081424 installed.

The other thing to remember is much time has passed since that issue was spotted and many updates have come through since which presumably have addressed this issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question