I want to make the default browser set to nothing.

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to disable the system from having a preferred application for the browser as I use any one of three at any given time for any reason. However when I click on a link in any of these browsers, The default application launches and it becomes very annoying to find out that it is another program that is running. So, if I have no browser as he default, I should have no issues and I would also be very happy.
I want to set this to a zero/null default. I dislike Edge completely. Really not sure about Chrome, Firefox or Opera as they are all trying to be something different all the time. Updates are happening at a rate that even the extensions and themes cannot keep pace with.
So, I want nothing as a default. Then I can just use whichever works best at the time I am using it and when I click a hyper link, I don't open a whole new program as is happening now with a default setting locked in.
I hope this is a better explanation of my objective. Jeff

Reaction score
I'd think that short of uninstalling browsers the best solution would be to set the default Home page to Blank, not open to any particular page or pages [same thing as site or site/s]. In Firefox the URL/Web address can be set to about:blank, other browsers should have something similar. Could even set the Home page to a particular file on your computer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't think that would satisfy him. He would still automatically open the default browser.

Reaction score
Then I'd guess that uninstalling the IE and Edge browsers would be the only solution then install one that is not as tied into Windows as those are but that would entail trial and error to find one such as Torch, SeaMonkey, Freefox, etc., there's a number available. I'd start with a look at www.majorgeeks.com and their list of browsers. After installing one reset it as NOT the default browser but I'd have my doubts about the ability to do that. The bigger issue is that for several years/versions most things have been about the Internet but that can be changed by not connecting to the 'net. Bottom line? Too many things are involved in connectivity. I have dubiously fond memories of the mid-'90s and Bulletin Boards and chat rooms [or pre-Internet for most users].

Reaction score
I don't think that would satisfy him. He would still automatically open the default browser.
The OP said they click links and those links open in the default browser. So you are correct setting a home page would not be a solution.

I'm not saying it is not possible. I just don't know if it is possible to set the default to null.

Reaction score
Clicking a link will always call whatever that link is coded for, don't think that can be changed as long as a link exists somewhere. Or in other words, uninstalling whatever that link refers to would have to be uninstalled but clicking the link will always try to bring something up. Programs may have a setting where a document won't show a clickable link, some will have a feature to Unlink it.

Reaction score
The "link" I posted is a script program, which will give the op a choice of browsers. As I see it, that is two clicks. Alternatively, he could just click and then ,if he needs another browser, click again. - That's also two clicks. But, I think that is the only solution. I settled for the browser I prefer, and that remains my default.

Ask a Question